Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Basic Pilot Skill

find that for typical light aircraft they are of little use and are not sufficiently stable and accurate
    Which is one of the reasons I'd prefer to go with one of the certified models even if they are considerably more expensive.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I think the worst thing one can encourage a student pilot to do is look at the instruments.

Fly the plane, not the panel!

Watching the angle of attack, airspeed, altimeter, compass, GPS, clock, etc won't teach basic flying skills. Putting one's eyes out of the aircraft and into the environment will.

"It was a perfect landing - airspeed, angle of attack, and altitude - except for the part where we hit the tree."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Watching the angle of attack, airspeed, altimeter, compass, GPS, clock, etc won't teach basic flying skills. Putting one's eyes out of the aircraft and into the environment will.
    I'll agree with you with one caveat. I would strongly caution against discouraging someone from watching their airspeed given the number of "eyes out of the aircraft" pilots who manage to wind up with themselves and their passengers as part of our research database every year because they failed to keep their Mk. I eyeballs on the airspeed indicator.

"It was a perfect landing - airspeed, angle of attack, and altitude - except for the part where we hit the tree."
    If he hit a tree, the altitude obviously wasn't perfect.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    If he hit a tree, the altitude obviously wasn't perfect.
    The tree was beside the runway at the same altitude.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Hate to change the subject back to T-6 planes, but this past weekend, I was hanging out at my local airfield working on flight lessons, and there four T-6 planes based out there, and one of the guys that owns one was going up for a flight. me and my pilot buddy went to go talk to him before he took off, and I was able to ride with him on his flight.

There is a HUGE difference between flying a T-6 and a Aeronca champ.. Once we got above pattern altitude, he let me take over, and we climbed to 8000 feet, over the clouds and he taught me how to do some acrobatics. It was the coolest thing ever, theirs nothing like the feeling of doing barrel rolls with the canopy open at 8000 feet looking straight up at the ground below you.

The tree was beside the runway at the same altitude
    Where the heck was this guy flying? LOL Or are we talking about the guy at Chapel Hill in the Cirrus who buried the tree into the cockpit during the runway excursion?

It was the coolest thing ever, theirs nothing like the feeling of doing barrel rolls with the canopy open at 8000 feet looking straight up at the ground below you.
    You can have it. I prefer- outside of flight testing- to keep my aircraft dirty side down as much as possible.