Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

Yes, there are light sport hot air balloons. The aircraft can only carry the pilot plus one passenger, and it cannot have a gross lift of more than 1,320lbs., which is much more than adequate for small hot-air balloons.
    There are also ultralight helicopters. You're not going to find many of them out there and so trying to argue that compartmentalizing a site that already talks almost exclusively about LSAs or things germane to LSAs is probably going to be counterproductive. I appreciate the desire, but then again you're just not providing a very good reason for a separate sub-forum.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I hope I didn't give anybody the impression with my first post here that I was opposed to any discussion of ultralights, LSA's, gliders, or lighter-than-aircraft on this or any forum. EAA has always been a big tent and education is one of the stated goals of the movement. I like the title of this forum, if you walk into any open hanger you will find some kind of aircraft and one or more individuals working or just pre-flighting something. That open door is usually taken as an invitation to walk in and start a conversation, and this forum does include a lot of different segments. If I fly into a grass strip I generally find several old tail-draggers and maybe some ultralights. If I fly into a Class D airport I will find a lot of GA from trainers to twins and maybe even some brain surgeons' P-51. I've never been kicked out of an open hanger, but I know better then to walk into one that houses a couple of high-end corporate jets, those people are not there to drink coffee and BS, they're working. Since we have other "speciality" forums I can see how establishing one on the "light" side would make sense.

Joe

I for one would like to see such a Forum. I'm a recent Sport Pilot graduate and it would be nice to look at posts dedicated to the various makes and models, pro's and con's, and pilots personal experiences with LSA's and the FBO's that embrace or reject them. Granted there are other places to seek this info, but I consider EAA a leader in this growing field and it would be nice to have a dedicated forum to go to instead of searching pages of info for info on the subject....

Quote Originally Posted by HaywardFlyer View Post
    I for one would like to see such a Forum. I'm a recent Sport Pilot graduate and it would be nice to look at posts dedicated to the various makes and models, pro's and con's, and pilots personal experiences with LSA's and the FBO's that embrace or reject them. Granted there are other places to seek this info, but I consider EAA a leader in this growing field and it would be nice to have a dedicated forum to go to instead of searching pages of info for info on the subject....
    I agree; but, I have to admit it seems there is not much interest in sport pilot/LSA's here.