Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Pilot ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Happy Auto Pilot ?

I have an SLSA (EuroFox), and I would like to have a two axis autopilot installed without spending more than the airplane is worth. I just want a unit that will hold altitude and hold a heading. Tracking an entire approach is not necessary.

My budget for this, including installation is $38. (;>) .....Well....maybe a little more than that.

Suggestions ???

Here's my question....why would you need an autopilot for an LSA? I mean, it's not a "get up and go" sort of aircraft and that sort of plane tends to attract folks who are doing it for the "love of flying", etc. Having an autopilot tends to take away that. Even as someone who dreams of the day of having an aircraft where when I'm at top of climb, I can punch the autopilot on and relax (relatively speaking) until time to descend a couple (or several) hours later, I just don't see the purpose behind one in an LSA. To me it would be like installing training wheels and cruise control on a moped.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

An LSA is just as much of a traveling airplane as a 172 is. I've flown a CTSW with an autopilot and it was great. Very smooth, like on rails. The problem with putting an autopilot in an SLSA is that you are going to have to go back to the manufacture to get it approved. Best bet would be to call the manufacture and see if they have something they already have approved, and if not, perhaps see if they are willing to work with you to get one approved.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Thanx for your input, Cessna. - Good thought.

The three main players in the LSA (Experimental?) field are Trutrak, Trio and Dynon. Dynon makes sense if you have a D100 or Skyview installed already although an entire AP system including a D100 EFIS rivals the cost of a comparable Trutrak system. Trio is probably the lowest cost standalone AP at around $3K for a 2-axis system. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by S3flyer View Post
    The three main players in the LSA (Experimental?) field are Trutrak, Trio and Dynon. Dynon makes sense if you have a D100 or Skyview installed already although an entire AP system including a D100 EFIS rivals the cost of a comparable Trutrak system. Trio is probably the lowest cost standalone AP at around $3K for a 2-axis system. YMMV.
    Thanx, Flyer...Very helpful

An LSA is just as much of a traveling airplane as a 172 is.
    Eh....I guess to each and to their own. From a speed standpoint, you're right. From a load standpoint or a just plain utility standpoint, not so much. An LSA is a fine "severe clear" traveling airplane but if there's any risk of less than perfect weather I wouldn't use it for long distance flying. Unlike a LSA, a 172 isn't grounded by less than ideal weather (assuming the pilot is competent and instrument rated).

But if yer distracted fer jes a few seconds, the plane decides to go all over the sky.
    Unless it was designed to be aerobatic, it sounds like it wasn't designed very well then. If it's designed to be just a point A to point B aircraft, you would think that inherent stability would be a must have feature.

Ya see; that makes it harder to keep on course when yer distracted with various things, goin X-country. It would be nice if it stayed on course while I'm looking at maps, checking frequencies of the next airport, etc.

Does that answer yer question?
    That it does. Of course, I try to avoid flying without a copilot whenever I can so that I have a spare set of hands around should I need them (not to mention that it's a source of companionship and I have yet to be able to train my parrot to handle ATC communications)

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    But if yer distracted fer jes a few seconds, the plane decides to go all over the sky.
    Unless it was designed to be aerobatic, it sounds like it wasn't designed very well then. If it's designed to be just a point A to point B aircraft, you would think that inherent stability would be a must have feature.
    Plus the fact that autopilots aren't magic. If a plane is very sensitive to the controls, then you're going to have a hard time getting the autopilot "dialed in". It's going to overcontrol just like a new pilot will, and an autopilot doesn't "learn." You'll need to do some serious adjustments to get the gearing right.

Back when I was a young 'un, I built a cruise control for my car. The car had a manual transmission, so all I really needed to do was have something hold the engine RPM no matter the load conditions. Taught me a few things about control rates, hysteresis, etc...

Ron Wanttaja

If a plane is very sensitive to the controls, then you're going to have a hard time getting the autopilot "dialed in". It's going to overcontrol just like a new pilot will, and an autopilot doesn't "learn." You'll need to do some serious adjustments to get the gearing right.
    I never even thought about that. It does make a lot of sense. I certainly would not want to be the one at the controls during the autopilot test flights in an inherently unstable aircraft. That just sounds like a recipe for a rather terrifying ride.

Back when I was a young 'un, I built a cruise control for my car. The car had a manual transmission, so all I really needed to do was have something hold the engine RPM no matter the load conditions. Taught me a few things about control rates, hysteresis, etc...
    You're a man of many talents Ron. For stuff like that, I'd just go with off the shelf technology.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Here's my question....why would you need an autopilot for an LSA? I mean, it's not a "get up and go" sort of aircraft and that sort of plane tends to attract folks who are doing it for the "love of flying", etc. Having an autopilot tends to take away that. Even as someone who dreams of the day of having an aircraft where when I'm at top of climb, I can punch the autopilot on and relax (relatively speaking) until time to descend a couple (or several) hours later, I just don't see the purpose behind one in an LSA. To me it would be like installing training wheels and cruise control on a moped.
    Well, Steve...Lemee tellya... In order to minimize drama in the forum, I'll just try to explain:

I've flown a lotta airplanes in my 50+ years of flying. The Fox is extremely sensitive. That makes it fun to fly when yer jes punchin holes in the sky. But if yer distracted fer jes a few seconds, the plane decides to go all over the sky. Ya see; that makes it harder to keep on course when yer distracted with various things, goin X-country. It would be nice if it stayed on course while I'm looking at maps, checking frequencies of the next airport, etc.

Does that answer yer question?