Thread: Structural Request....sort of....

Structural Request....sort of....

Could someone post a picture of a spar and rib from a high-performance metal homebuilt aircraft? I am having trouble finding a good image (or pair of images) that show these parts and I'm trying to show them in a presentation I'm putting together for some local kids (their teacher is a friend of mine). I am trying to show how different types of construction vary and how what the airplane is designed to do changes the design of the aircraft's parts. Even a technical drawing would work but either way I would appreciate it.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

You're welcome to use any pictures from my site. Here is the first wing page:

http://rv8bldr.tripod.com/the_wing.html

Note that these were taken in the late '90s, meaning they are scanned photos, rather than digital pictures, so they aren't great resolution.
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Thanks Mark! That works just fine. I didn't need anything too detailed. As long as I could show off the differences between different aircraft. Just out of my curiosity what alloy is the spar made out or coated with of to give it that golden color? What about the ribs?
    Last edited by steveinindy; 03-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

The spars on all modern RV's (maybe not the -12?) are gold anodized. Ribs are bare AL, but most people prime them, so you'll see white, grey, or green typically.

Last edited by Chad Jensen; 03-14-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Ah. That explains it. It's a shame that it gets covered up because that gold color is rather pretty. Do you happen to know what alloy they are using for the ribs?

The spars remain gold, no reason to prime them, but many do prime the ribs. The ribs are 2024-T3.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Ah. That explains it. It's a shame that it gets covered up because that gold color is rather pretty. Do you happen to know what alloy they are using for the ribs?
    I would suspect they are 2024 T3.

I'm a little surprised they anodize as it does cut the fatigue life a small amount, although I'm sure they have lots of margin anyway.