Thread: RAN's. Electrical starter for Aeronca's. ??

RAN's. Electrical starter for Aeronca's. ??

I have been looking at some chief's for the last couple of months and have found that there is a starter system compatible with some models, at least, which involves a gear mechanism which gets mounted on the propeller shaftand the use of an 18v hand drill. I'm not sure of the spelling of the name but, am interested in any details or links to more specific info about it. I will be checking with the type groups as well.Thanks for any help you can provide.EDGEFLY

There was an article about it in SA. I believe the gentleman's name that came up with it is Harold Hamp. If you sure the back issues on SA look for one with an orange and white tailwind on the cover. I'm pretty sure that the issue with the article on the starter. Seems to me it was 2-3 years ago or so.

I have seen the kit and it actually has an STC?????.... and I found it pathetic, works but, well.... go karts have better engineered systems which calling that an engineered system is a stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm glad there's an approved method out there it's just why did this one get the okay?

How hard is it to find a working McDowell starter? My old boss had a Chief with one and a guy in the next town has a McDowell starter on his Chief so I was thinking they are pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    I have seen the kit and it actually has an STC?????.... and I found it pathetic, works but, well.... go karts have better engineered systems which calling that an engineered system is a stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm glad there's an approved method out there it's just why did this one get the okay?
    Have to disagree with you in several ways

"I found it pathetic, works but" Key word there is "Works". Apperance wise, yeah, it's probably not the neatest solution. But, I imagine it's lighter, easier to get parts for, and cheaper than any alternative method of attaching a starter.
    I wouldn't call it a "engineered system" either- if I recall the article (haven't looked it up yet) Mr Hamp is just a old A & P who figured it out without a college degree in engineering. No doubt you can wait for a engineer designed "elegant" solution- I wouldn't, not much engineering work being done on 50+ year old airplanes without electrical systems
    And from the FAA:
    An STC will be issued only if:

• the pertinent technical data have been examined and found satisfactory,
    • all necessary tests and compliance inspections have been completed, and
    • the alteration has been found to conform with the technical data

Nothing about technical expertise of the designer, appearance of the design, etc

Specific help

Recenltly, I started this thread to ask for direct traceable data about an existing electric starter approach which was presumably applicable to Aeronca Chief aircraft. Please don't feel that I am not grateful for the responses made but they have been in general a whole lot less than that ! I am still trying to use the first one which referred to an article in SA but have not, at this point been able to recover it. Some later responses have referred to having heard of or seen the thing and even to there being an STC for it, but with nothing I could use to find specifics about the hardware or implementation of it. If anyone has anything like the STC number, a vendor for the required hardware or a real live person who has direct personal experience with this item, please let me know, either by direct E-mail or better yet via this thread-It might be that more than one person has an interest in this.Again thank you for your input.EDGEFLY

The issue is not in the back issue area here. Try this: http://www.sportaviationonline.org/s...m=2&fs=1#pg115

Should be the article in question

Indeed it works, sorry I didn't Add any pertinent info, here's link with pictures from Mr. Hamp himself. http://joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2744
    and to be fair to him it's not like I have any STC's out there with my name on them Kudos to him.

There you have it folks! David Darnell just laid it out for anyone who is interested enough to look into this. I wish also to thank KDoersom whose initial mention of the article led to the final input. For my part I will be contacting Harold Hamp (He has the STC) to investigate the details of possibly utilizing this approach on some Aeronca Champs which I am considering for purchase. I'll report back on the results of my contact with Harold here on the Maintenance Forum line.... My thanks to David and KD for their special help.

EDGEFLY

Of course I would no less than demand the rubber-band starter if I owned a Cub...

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...a-rubber-band&
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.