Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synergy Q&A

Hi Robert, and welcome.

Our engine is mounted up but not running. This is a part of the project I want to share with more qualified people as it will free up more of my time to handle the bottleneck design details. It can get underway any time.

Flying wings with double box tail controls are definitely a hot combo and I agree with your assessment.

As to flight test data, we will probably be buried in it. Since the use of power to reduce drag invalidates a large number of time-honored principles and equations, it will be necessary to present a large portion of the data in raw form, or we risk being attacked for the incompatible conclusions that open thermodynamics can expose. To use just one example, one of the reasons that it is popular to use 'equivalent flat plate drag area' is that normally it allow an apples to apples comparison between designs of differing speed ranges. Within a powered drag reduction system, this will become a useless and misleading term, as the value obtained will vary depending on the speed, dropping as you go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by John McGinnis View Post
    ... one of the reasons that it is popular to use 'equivalent flat plate drag area' is that normally it allow an apples to apples comparison between designs of differing speed ranges. Within a powered drag reduction system, this will become a useless and misleading term, as the value obtained will vary depending on the speed, dropping as you go faster.
    Just this morning I was thinking that a powered drag reduction system will make a great speed brake when you need it, too. :-)
    Richard Johnson, EAA #395588

John,

With all that data you collect be sure to give us 'power plant' types some first hand info on that engine. I believe it may have great potential.

Thank you for all your efforts to really try and move GA forward in a fundamental way.

kickstarter is now on my extreme BLACK LIST...
    With all the other crap they support, it is beyond me why a worthy project like this would get rejected.

BOOOOOOOOO! kickstarter idgits...

-Christian

John will undoubtedly weigh in on this, but Kickstarter relented. :-) I just got this not about 30 minutes ago.

[QUOTE]
    It's finally happened. *Kickstarter changed their mind, and we've been
    given approval to launch!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=b1927e6d

Friends of Synergy like yourself will get everything associated with the
    Kickstarter reward descriptions. We'll go live tonight!

The only way the campaign will truly be successful is if it reaches
    hundreds of thousands of people, and that means that everyone needs to
    get their networks to forward it along to their networks. I'm
    concerned that we've asked too much of our supporters already,
    especially those who have helped from the beginning, so please help us
    reach new backers and spread the load.

When this flies, and it will, it will change the world. Thank you for
    joining the effort.

Sincerely,
    John McGinnis
    [/QOUTE]

Help spread the word!
    Richard Johnson, EAA #395588

from our facebook post:

Congratulations, Synergy fans, you have been heard!!! Tonight this Kickstarter project WILL GO LIVE!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=b1927e6d

After Kickstarter.com rejected our original application and appeal, Howard Handelman and Pat Panzera formed Friends of Synergy. Brian Wendt and Dean Sigler, among others, threw a polite online hissy fit about it, and AVWeb told Everyone the bad news. Emails were sent, EAAers stepped up far and wide at every level, and somewhere in all of that hubbub Kickstarter had a change of heart.

I received an email from a human being with a name, Callan Lamb, explaining that he "wanted to reach out and let you know that we've reconsidered your project submission...this is an incredibly ambitious and creative project that we'd be excited to see on Kickstarter."

Kickstarter has now greatly improved their project guidelines for design and technology submissions.