Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: EAA Direction (split from website feedback thread)

genral

I wish we could do something to get the organization back on track. I was thinking about emailing all the EAA Chapter Presidents and ask them to bring this topic up at their meetings to get an idea of what everyone else thinks. I am working twelve hour shifts and trying to make progress on my plane, so I don't have much free time to devote to the issue.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-21-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Moved to keep the original thread (about the "70 year mechanic") on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I agree that simply letting your membership expire is a viable option and I've been contacted by many members who are seriously considering letting their membership lapse. I've also exchanged messages with former EAA members who re-joined so they can simply participate in raising the members awareness about an inequity of votes issue.

I can offer my perspective on the issue and will communicate what I've communicated to those considering the lapse of membership route.

In order to understand my perspective, we all have to agree that the EAA is far to valuable to the aviation community to destroy or let waste away. There is a tremendous amount of value within EAA in the softer areas such as legacy and brand recognition, but also value in the more defined areas such outreach to Young Eagles, work in Washington, and cooperative partnerships that mutually benefit GA. Regardless of how anyone feels about the overall effectiveness of EAA in these areas, we all have to agree that the EAA is valuable and it is worth fighting for.

With that said, my message to those considering the lapse of membership route is to please keep renewing their membership. I can understand not wanting to pay for something that you don't feel you are receiving equal value for, but without members the EAA would struggle to survive and we would all be destroying a great organization. Members are needed to keep the chapter communities healthy, they are needed to volunteer as staff members at AirVenture, they are needed to fly Young Eagles so our neighbors kids can have an opportunity to become pilots someday too, they are also needed to be the barometer of EAA leadership so that at the highest levels the organization can be managed in way that reflects the needs of the general membership body.

So whether you agree or disagree with this specific effort, I would encourage all of you to maintain your memberships. And if you feel like there is a specific area where the EAA can improve, then be the barometer for the leaders and get involved in rallying other members to bring it to their attention. That's what we are doing here and without members it wouldn't be possible.

On the topic of lawyers and class action lawsuits, I don't even want to go down that road. I'm a believer that litigation has become the crutch of our society and that common sense is a far more reasonable approach. In this case, there is clearly an inequity of votes issue and we don't need a lawyer to demonstrate it exist. As members, we can spotlight it and then ask the EAA to do something about it. It's really a common sense issue and I have no intention of leading a class action lawsuit against the EAA for a common sense issue.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil:

Just getting caught up with all the action that has taken place. I was following your thread on the "other" forum and did provide you with a Proxy. Will be following along here.

As a Lifetime member, not renewing is not an option but agree with your ideas of getting more transparency and member involvement so must work with you and EAA to make it happen. I refuse to join Facebook but am willing to help with Google+, Twitter, or a Yahoo Group.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Gary,

Thanks for chasing us down.

I understand that Facebook won't work for everyone. We simply started the Facebook group shortly after the previous board removed all of the content contributed by his members.

For the record, the Facebook group has ~550 members today and is located at:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/Members4Members

We have also started a twitter presence: @Members4Members

Earlier today I started a Yahoo! group too, for people like you. Since it's only a couple of hours old, the membership count is low at the minute, but it will ramp very quickly as soon as word spreads. There's no doubt that we'll have several hundred participating there in a few weeks too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m4m/

It would be great if you can help us spread the word. I wish we could get more cooperation from the previous board owner to update his members that participated in the proxy effort for 2012, but that's not going to happen. Most people are in your shoes and they're working to chase us down for an update on what happened in 2012 and what we will be doing in 2013.

Thanks again for taking the time to chase us down and for your support.

Phil

Phil, I posted those links on VAF....hopefully Doug will allow them to stay for a while.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

They're already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstaton View Post
    They're already gone.
    ...along with a pleading to not post that stuff there...disappointing but expected...

Regards

kinda sad that VAF doesn't support it's own members. I got censored based on being political. I don't see the political message in what I posted

Here was my exact post:

just a quick note for those searching to find out about the EAA members seeking
    direct elections info. Here is 2 sites:

http://<a href="https://www.facebook...rs4Members</a>

http://<a href="http://groups.yahoo....group/m4m/</a>
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

I am saddened to hear from a local EAA member that Charlie Becker is no longer with EAA.

(and that his new "Boss" at EAA wasn't even a pilot but some so called "communications manager" that was hired early this year)

I was also told that several long time employees, including Charlie, were put in the position that if they wanted to continue to provide for their families that they needed to pursue alternative employment opportunities

several years ago I attended a SportAir workshop in Indy, the conversations I had with Charlie were what made me renew my membership.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Charlie for encouraging me to pursue my aviation goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I am saddened to hear from a local EAA member that Charlie Becker is no longer with EAA.

(and that his new "Boss" at EAA wasn't even a pilot but some so called "communications manager" that was hired early this year)

I was also told that several long time employees, including Charlie, were put in the position that if they wanted to continue to provide for their families that they needed to pursue alternative employment opportunities

several years ago I attended a SportAir workshop in Indy, the conversations I had with Charlie were what made me renew my membership.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Charlie for encouraging me to pursue my aviation goals.
    I agree, As a condition of employment the EAA should only hire employees with a private pilot or A&P mechanic certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    ?????