Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft incident this morning ....

I think that F-16 will be at OSH for awhile. Nice that those flames in the tailpipe didn't start a larger fire.

Thanks to both for posting those videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Serious View Post
    Here's my firsthand video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub7PFQSQFkI
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebobiwan View Post
    And the F-16 video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q

Does KOSH really need AIRCRAFT CARRIER ARRESTING CABLES for Navy Pilots ??

I wonder if the truth about this incident will ever be released to the public.
    Hopefully it was some form of equipment failure, and not the result of "putting on a show" for the Spectators.

Geoff
    Last edited by FSMP; 07-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FSMP View Post
    Does KOSH really need AIRCRAFT CARRIER ARRESTING CABLES for Navy Pilots ??

I wonder if the truth about this incident will ever be released to the public.
    Hopefully it was some form of equipment failure, and not the result of "putting on a show" for the Spectators.

Geoff
    I was watching the F-16's fly and to my group of people, it seemed as though the second F-16 (the one that overran) was being flown rather timid. The first one was doing all the hard core low level "high-G" turns with afterburner. The second one wasen't ever doing that and was flying a little higher. We commented that we thought maybe it was his first time flying there. Then the first F-16 landed very normal. He got it down right away and kept the nose up and turned it into a nice slow run down the runway. Then the second F-16 came in. He landed long and was coming in way too fast. I looked at my friends and said "He's going way to fast!" Almost thought he would have tried going around. But he didn't. We really thought he was going to hit the first F-16. Thank God that didn't happen and thank God he didn't punch out. This was CLEARLY pilot error an the second F-16 pilot. We also noticed that he never had his airbrakes deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    We also noticed that he never had his airbrakes deployed.
    Yes, that plane really wizzed past us and did not appear to be slowing down at all. I was expeting to hear the roar of oafterburners and a go-around. Maybe pilot error, but I suspect a brake failure of some sort. Hopefully the military/NTSB will sort it out and tell us what happened.

Can you imagine how EMBARRASSED that pilot must have been?
    Cozy Mk IV N87PR
    Chapter 13 & 16

I think if one lands long & fast, you have problems already before any talk about 'brake failure'.

I find the lack of "putting on a show" odd. Viper pilots (hell, fighter pilots in general) rarely pass up a chance to put on a show, much less at an AIRSHOW. lol. That makes me curious if there was something deeper than just brake failure. I wonder if some sort of equipment failure caused the slow, sloppy handling, the lack of an air brake, and the long, fast landing?

Like Geoff, I hope they release the investigation findings to the public! It's got my curiosity piqued!