Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft incident this morning ....

Aircraft incident this morning ....

Any details on the incident ?

Per EAAupdate on Twitter (Dick Knapinski), at approx. 11 a.m., an F-16 from AL Air National Guard overran the north end of runway 18/36 upon landing. Pilot walked out & taken 4 observation.

It looks like another jet (F-86 maybe?) skidded off the end of runway 36 during the showcase portion today where various jet aircraft were being displayed, right after Burt Rutan's Boomerang segment. I think I heard air boss state the pilot was out and taking off his helmet? Could see the plane (and still can) sitting there right off the north end of 36 on the Warbird camera.

An Eye Witness on another board said it was an F-4.

I'm looking at it on the Warbird video feed, every time the camera pans over to it's farthest right position. Sure doesn't look like an F-4 to me.

Edit: Definitely not an F-4. Straight across horiz. stabilizer/elevator as opposed to the upside down "V" of an F-4.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 07-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Second incident was the FJ4 Fury. I was at my campsite when this one happened, but I did note the tailwind for 36 when he landed. F-16 incident happened 150ft in front of me as I was standing at the T-28's watching the first one taxi in. Took me by complete surprise and I didn't see it come off the end (blocked by the T-28 I standing next to) but did see the end of the skid. Pilot got out and appeared fine.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Thanks Chad. I knew somebody was gonna be nearby and give a report. The Fury is still sitting out there off the end of 36. Wonder what the heck is going on today to have not one, but two jets skid off the end. You mentioned a tailwind though.

FJ4 Runs off Runway - AirVenture 2011

Here's my firsthand video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub7PFQSQFkI

Well glad to see he had a smoother ride than the -16...that is the only flying example of an FJ4, isn't it?
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

And the F-16 video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q