Thread: GSIO 540 / Geared engines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GSIO 540 / Geared engines

Anyone care to share their experience with this engine.....?
    Last edited by PF Flyer; 03-08-2012 at 11:13 AM.

x
    Last edited by PF Flyer; 03-08-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed the typo in the title - Hal

Many years ago we operated a Queen Air with IGSO540A1D's. Great engines, no troubles.....I wish we still had it. Right now we have a Twin Bonanza with GO480G2D6's. Also wonderful engines. Always idle at 1300 rpm, no less. The gear boxes will chatter and wear prematurely if you idle to slow. Best to run the 540 on the rich side too. It is OK to burn a little extra fuel if it saves the top end. Pay now or pay later you know. What kind of aircraft are you flying?

Somewhere there's a pretty good article on the care and feeding of the geared lycomings that one of the Twin Commander guys wrote (the only thing worse than one geared lycoming is two ). Seriously, my biggest problem with the Gopher35 was that lycoming pretty much disavowed all knowledge of the engine so finding support for it was a bit dicey. The 480's and 540's aren't so badly encumbered. I was not too sorry to see it go and be replaced with the big continental.

Found it: http://republicseabee.com/Files/GO-480%20ops%20big.pdf