View Poll Results: How often do you visit EAA.org?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every day.

15 31.91%
  • 2 - 3 times a week.

17 36.17%
  • Once a month.

11 23.40%
  • Never - I get my EAA news here on the forums or elsewhere.

4 8.51%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input needed! We're overhauling our website(s) and need your help!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Input needed! We're overhauling our website(s) and need your help!

Like it says, we're gearing up for some major Web work, and we'll be asking you a few questions over the next week and a half or so. First, if you, would, take a second to answer the poll question, and then please share your responses to these (note that this batch of questions is focused specifically on EAA.org, not our other sites, including this one):

What do you like about EAA.org and why?

What would you change about EAA.org and why?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Obviously I support EAA because it represents my personal interest in flying...I also support AOPA even though they are a bit more focused on commercial avaiation rather than pure amateur flying.

I understand that it takes a LOT of money to keep the organization going, but it always seems web sites like EAA.org is pretty much jammed with sales pitches and that kind of turns me off, even though I understand the necessity for it.

Personally, I think if we're going to have so many advertisements on the main website, it might be worth seeing if someone (Aircraft Spruce, etc) would sponsor access for the general public to the more detailed building and design information that's currently in the members only area.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Personally, I'm not much bothered with the advertisements. I do very much enjoy reading most of the articles because they are important and relevant. I also like the wallpaper of the month. A "mobile site" would be the only real suggestion I can think of.

You neglected to include a choice in the poll for more than "never" but less than "once a month".

Personally, I use the forums here, and occasionally (less than once a month) the videos, mainly "hints for homebuilders".

I also look for fly-ins but rarely through the main web page; I just google "eaa fly-in calendar".

Keep java and flash to a minimum! Not only is it incompatible with some older and mobile browsers, but the message gets lost in the glitter.

Usually if I go the the EAA website it is either to buy something or to research items in back issues of Sport Aviation. Any current news is in the daily emails, if I am interested in an article I read it.

As our newsletter editor, and the one who tries to keep our membership informed of important happenings, I look at eaa.org daily. When there are important stories or requests posted, I forward the information to members so that they can be aware and help us take action when necessary.

I get so much e-mail that the EAA and AOPA bulletins are often overlooked as I just don't have time to look through them all when I get home. It is much easier to browse the headlines on the EAA main page rather than sift through threads on the forum for items that are actually newsworthy. I sit at a desk all day, so I normally take a minute to see whats happening.

I would also like a mobile site, especially since the fruit company doesn't like Flash. Beyond that, it is pretty good as is, I can normally find what I want quickly. A more prominent link to the Members Only content would be good possibly.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I'll agree with you on that Jim... a more prominent link to Members Only content. Going to Members Only still takes users to Osh365, which is still dreadfully slow most of the time... I would fix that. Not Osh365, but perhaps move the content somewhere else if that would improve things. I wanted to share an article with someone a few weeks ago and it takes quite a long time to log in, navigate, etc.

I usually go to the home page to access the past issues of Sport Aviation. It is not easy to find the pre-2010 issues and unless I go frequently I need to do some searching to find the appropriate links. Direct access to the archival issues would be nice.

Don