Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead points???

Lead points???

Hi, there! I am new to EAA, new to flight training, old to the Passion of Aviation.....and I've got a quick question: In the aviation cliche, "Life is lead points and habit patterns", just what in the world are "lead points"?? (and is "lead" pronounced "led" or "leed"?) Bonus question: What is the MEANING of the cliche? Thanks!

Banned
    I've been flying for 38 years and have had the infectious aviation disease since I could walk but I have never heard that phrase in the aviation lexicon. I haven't a clue what it means or if it has in fact an aviation related meaning or significance.

While I've only been flying for 32 years, I've never heard or read of "lead points" in aviation either. There is a "lead point intussusception" medical term applicable to the human bowel, but I've never investigated the details, preferring to leave that to the province of colorectal surgeons (proctologists).
    Bill

It might be something to do with aerial gunnery. You fire as your target arrives at your lead point.

Here's the page link:

Thanks, maybe it's an obscure or obsolete saying...or perhaps even foreign. I got it from this webpage: http://pilotfriend.com/humour/jokes/cliches.htm It's about #75 down the page.The website itself seems Brittish, but there's plenty of American stuff there, too. Thanks again
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 03-10-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Chick, do you think lead points is a military term?

I've heard the term 'lead point' before as being just another way of saying 'starting point'....enunciated likes 'Leeds' without the 's'.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I've heard the term 'lead point' before as being just another way of saying 'starting point'....enunciated likes 'Leeds' without the 's'.
    Thanks. My curiosity can be leathal (to me). Do you remember when and/or where you heard this term? Were you ever in the military?

I was in the US Air Force but I recall hearing it as a child from an RAF veteran who lived in the same town I did. He had married an American nurse and wound up over here after the war. I don't remember the exact context he used the phrase in but that is the only time I have ever come across it's use so I think it might be a WWII era British aviation term.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I was in the US Air Force but I recall hearing it as a child from an RAF veteran who lived in the same town I did. He had married an American nurse and wound up over here after the war. I don't remember the exact context he used the phrase in but that is the only time I have ever come across it's use so I think it might be a WWII era British aviation term.

Now this is getting exciting! Do you remember how "lead" was enunciated? thanks!