Thread: Headsets to keep a spouse happy

Headsets to keep a spouse happy

My wife, who has been ultra-supportive in the 11-year effort to build my plane, confided to me the other day that she has some concerns about taking it on a long-distance flight, principally her inability to move around much (she has Sjogren's and often has muscle cramps), but also that she found the headsets quite uncomfortable. And well she should, they were a pair of cheap Sigtronics headsets that I bought when I sold some David Clark's to raise more money for the airplane project many years ago.

I'm going to try to move the rudder pedals in the RV-7A forward a notch to give her a little extra room and I'm going to buy a new pair of headphones -- maybe two, since in the last couple of weeks my own Meniere's Disease is now taking out "the good ear," just as it did with the bad one several years ago.

This is an area where I'm not going to spare expense b/c it's pretty important to have her as comfortable as possible. I'm looking at a pair of Bose A20 and would like to hear some reviews from those who have used them. And I'm interested in hearing any reviews of other high-end headsets and recommendations, quirks, pros, cons etc.

Thanks!

Bob, is there a pilot shop anywhere close by? Take her there and trial fit some headsets. I find my Lightspeeds very comfortable. I know others who love their Bose, and some people swear by the in-ear Clarity Alofts. From a freedom of movement perspective, the Clarity's have to be the cat's meow...

Hi Bob,
    Here is how I kept my wife happy, at least in the headset department. I got her a Bose Quiet 2 headset, the type airline passengers use, very light and comforable. Then go to uflymike.com and get a mic that hooks into the headset and the aircraft. You end up with a great ANR headset, at half the cost, that can be worn for hours. She liked it so well, I got myself one and have enjoyed it for 5 years or more. Well worth a happy wife.

Brian

Bob, I have A20s and love them--uber comfortable. The last time we were at Osh (2011), we ( me, wife and 2 kids) hit all the vendors and the Bose's were the unanimous favorites. Pricey, but worth it IMO. However, your wife really needs to try them on as headset preference is real subjective. The fact that we went with A20s really doesn't mean anything.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Hi, Bob;

Don't know what your timeline is, but if you can make it to either Sun n Fun or AirVenture, several vendors have kiosks with just about every type of headset available for you and your wife to try on. They even have sound generators over top of you so that you can test the ANR functionality. That's an easy way to try several at once.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I have David Clarks in one very niosey airpalne. They do a good job and aren't too bad for comfort, and are very sturdy.
    I have 2 Bose in my Bonanza, and like them, but they are $1000 apiece. The earcups are a little on the small side so dont always fit over the ears. The passive noise cancelling is not very good, nowhere near the D Cs, but with the noice cancelling turned on they are pretty good.
    Boise may have a deal where you can try them on a moeny back basis for a month.

There are a lot of cheaper ones and some are not bad and some are awful.

And during Sun-N-Fun or OSH, they have show special pricing. If you want a particular model and you are unable to actually attend the show, you can generally telephone the 800 number for one of the distributors who is exhibiting at the show and ask for show pricing.

Best of luck,

Wes

I fully agree that you need to have wifey try before you buy. For instance, I find Lightspeed Zulus to be very uncomfortable--just don't fit my ears--yet others love them. Same with Boses, some love them, others don't. A buddy has a super cheap ANR headset which has worked well for him for years, with aftermarket ear seals--fits him and his needs well. For myself, I have a DC 13.4, converted to ANR with the Headsets Inc. kit, and with Oregon Aero comfort items added. For me, they're great, and the OA stuff made all the difference in comfort for long days. Quality is one thing. But comfort is so subjective.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee