Thread: Seller's liability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seller's liability

Hi, I'm going to sell my Rans S-10. I bought it built, but have recovered and done a bunch of mods.(hydraulic brakes, etc..) I am not a repairman for the a/c. It has been signed off for 10 years by an A+P. I have watched the EAA webcast on selling your homebuilt and downloaded the sale agreement and waiver. I'm very nervous because if you know the a/c, then you know it's a difficult plane to fly and intended for acro. I'm just fishing for tips and making sure I didn't miss anything. Comments?

Seller's Liability

If it were me, I'd seek counsel from an attorney familiar with aviation liability issues to make sure I am as well protected as I can possibly be.
    Bill

But remember, in this country you can sue a ham sandwich. But on the brighter side, if you have few assets no lawyer will take the case.

My opinion is the same as AlaskaBill's I think he's right about it completely.

The Rans S-10 is a dual seat acrobat. Make sure your buyer has a current acrobat rating and give him transitional training. Don’t complete the sale until you’re sure he can safely fly it and have the buyer’s A&P sign off the plane.

The only way you might protect yourself is to put all your assets into an offshore trust (such as a family remainder trust that you don’t control) in some country (New Zealand is frequently used) with secret banking laws that require that the tort be adjudicated in their court under their liability laws and stop working – prior to the sale. This is expensive and controversial.

Then you can tell the scumbag lawyer suing you that as any lawsuit will financially destroy you, ruining your life and make it not worth living – that you will not waste any money defending it, will declare bankruptcy and will kill him and then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Hills Cynic View Post
    The Rans S-10 is a dual seat acrobat. Make sure your buyer has a current acrobat rating and give him transitional training. Don’t complete the sale until you’re sure he can safely fly it and have the buyer’s A&P sign off the plane.

The only way you might protect yourself is to put all your assets into an offshore trust (such as a family remainder trust that you don’t control) in some country (New Zealand is frequently used) with secret banking laws that require that the tort be adjudicated in their court under their liability laws and stop working – prior to the sale. This is expensive and controversial.

Then you can tell the scumbag lawyer suing you that as any lawsuit will financially destroy you, ruining your life and make it not worth living – that you will not waste any money defending it, will declare bankruptcy and will kill him and then do it.
    There is no such thing as an "acrobat" rating. You can get training in it, but there is no rating for it at all.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES