Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A fool and His Dream

Kudos, Norm. Glad to hear that you've decided to get some training. You'll be glad you did.

Good work on the plane too! Looks great!

(you've also awakened me to the ultralight world. I though that it required a license, etc and was another category/class of airplane. Now I'm wishing I could get a Quicksilver and fly it out of our field and "hangar" it in our barn!)

Whew!! I have stayed out of this conversation because Norm was getting enough advice which was making him more and more angry. But, I read this with a great sigh of relief as I was dreading not seeing him post here for a number of weeks and wondering if he just got so angry that he stopped coming here or, heaven forbid, experienced what we all were fearing and is no longer with us......
    Norm - getting some airtime with an instructor is the best decision you've made since you made the decision to build your own airplane. Best of luck and God speed....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

For the purpose of this thread. This builder is now a U/L pilot learning will continue . As any pilot that has just received there passage.

I know a few of you didn't like the fact I was using the single seat instructed methodology. That seems you will have to get used to that because I believe you are going to see a lot more of it.

I had something working for me . You will also not understand or maybe even agree with . The concept of simulation in most peoples eye is the vision of someone sitting at there desktop with a plastic MS joystick. Well that isn't the way it was for me. What I use and what I was doing gave me highly trained motor skills. I repeat MOTOR SKILLS. No other value was gleaned useful. other than aircraft knowledge. The same things I read about in my ground schooling. Those motor skills made transitioning a cake walk with the instruction.
    The worst thing was the fear factor. The reality is something very different, the wind conditions another. You may be able to augment the reality transition with dual but you can not guarantee, Your student wont panic on their solo. I think the mastery of the motor skills was much more reassuring when I was solo than any thing a dual would have provided. I still would have to solo even with dual. I think you can teach motor skills with simulation, then continue with the single seat methodology for the U/L and do it with a very high degree of safety.
    The simulation you use would make a difference also whether you create a passive skill or an intense skill, like the difference between a bicycle rider are a motor cross rider.
    You figure that one out.
    I was the respected XO of a 13 year old simulator fighter squadron.
    54th Lucky
    Regards Norm
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 09-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.

As you imply, the simulator does not teach wind or weather. Fall is comming and with it changing weather conditions. Be sure to observe the wind and clouds in detail as you gain experiance gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    For the purpose of this thread. This builder is now a U/L pilot learning will continue . As any pilot that has just received there passage.

I know a few of you didn't like the fact I was using the single seat instructed methodology. That seems you will have to get used to that because I believe you are going to see a lot more of it.
    Norm, before you started getting your single seat instruction, how much dual time did you have? I thought in a previous post you mentioned you got some. Or did you not have any dual instruction before soloing via the SPTM?

-Buzz

The only dual I had was 1/2 hour in a weight shift. I did my grdnd school and I did my own straight ahead test flights. I felt that was my most risky move but necessary. I would not ask some other to pay the price if I had made error in construction. Yes I did approximately 30 straight ahead and land. Each and every days flights were discussed fully with my instructor. Not all were with his approval.Because I exceeded my altitude advisory. Working out the hull performance problems was the reason for the excursions. The rest of the test flying was done by an experienced pilot. After which I was approved for more advanced maneuvers over several days,with a varying wind conditions. That being my most limiting of conditions. And they still are. I struggle to get smooth air time . Seems all the good days are when I am working.To day I logged 1 hr. In 5 -10 gusting from NW. completely unpleasant for me even though I have no problem its not fun.