Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A fool and His Dream

Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
    It's not to late to have an independent engineering evaluation. Also ask around and find a actual test pilot to do some initial taxi runs and tests flights. If they won't do it, your not qualified to do it either. You owe it to your self and your family.
    Best post on this thread.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Norm, I hope you take all this advice to heart. We are not trying to spoil your dream, but we would hate to lose you. Putting an untested airplane and an untrained pilot together seems like it is asking too much of the gods of luck....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Here we are in 2012 on a forum where an ultralight designer has announced his plan to test fly a new ultralight design without any prior flight instruction.
    Since no instruction is available because the FAA has dismantled the entire ultralight instruction industry in the United States, who is at fault if Norm is injured teaching himself to fly?

I blame the FAA directly for this situation and EAA indirectly for inaction on this unacceptable lack of proper ultralight instruction.
    The Canadian ultralight rules are sensible and allow for two-seat instruction. The FAA should enact an emergency order to allow Canadian rules in the U.S.
    Bill

Since no instruction is available because the FAA has dismantled the entire ultralight instruction industry in the United States, who is at fault if Norm is injured teaching himself to fly?
    I know plenty of people instructing on ultralights still. There is instruction available. You just have to go looking for it. Then how about he goes and gets his sport pilot? I don't think a measly few hours of training is too much to ask and the only thing it can do is benefit him. Ultimately, if he chooses to fly without training and bites it, that is his fault and his alone. That's the last thing I want. He would be the tennth friend of mine to be part of my research database and quite frankly I do not want that.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    .....who is at fault if Norm is injured teaching himself to fly?.......
    That will fall solely on Norm. Instruction is available, it is his choice to utilize this training or not. BUT the people that may suffer from his inexperience is ultimately Norm and his family AND every other pilot.

WE are our own worst enemy if we allow others to continue to harm our hobby. Norm apparently is smart enough to build his own design and I hope he is smart enough to get the proper instruction.

Here's a link to some training: http://www.fpna.com/instruct.htm
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Hydro-
    Just looked at your link for training. But I cannot find any listing for the Drifter or Quicksilver on the approved SLSA list. Quicksilver told me they do not have any SLSA offering.
    Does this ultralight flight school have a special training exemption?

I would guess they have a LODA exemption for training purposes. This allows them to use an ELSA or EAB for transition training.

But I don't know. I found the link to show that training is available...any training would be better than none.
    Last edited by hydroguy2; 03-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

The FAA has changed their policy... you can now use an ELSA or E-AB for primary "ultralight like" training, but the hours can't be used toward any certificate or rating. I don't recall if it requires a LODA or not.

Flight Training

Norm,

This post is mostly for others who are concerned about your safety. Norm and I have communicated in the past. I am a CFI and I am working with Norm on his flight preperations. I would like to point out that any aircraft training is of value. We are searching for the best solition to the flight training problem. Isn't it nice the way the FAA removes all the road blocks to allow access to aviation for all. Flight training can be done in ultralight, light sport, experimental or part 23 aircraft. Although ultralight vehicles do not need a certified test pilot they do need a qualified test pilot. I think we all agree on that point. Right now the issue is to have the aircraft as complete as possible when acceptable spring weather arrives. There is still much taxi testing to accomplish. If there are any aircraft somewhat near Norm that could be used please contact norm or I. We do have an issue in that we are on opposite ends of the country. Any other CFIs who would like to assist are welcome to join the conversation.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions.

And Norm, to add to Hydroguy's comment, you owe it to the whole aviation community. We have enough black eyes. I'm sorry, but only a complete fool would do what you say you are going to do.