Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A fool and His Dream

Zero flight training is not acceptable
    Then what precisely were you thinking engaging in a high enough speed taxi to result in an inadvertent takeoff with zero training under your belt? Seriously Norman, Ryan, the others and myself are not trying to discourage you from flying. We don't want you to die because of whatever sort of motivation has led you to take what most would consider unacceptable risks. If you don't want to take advice or hear criticism, you probably shouldn't admit to such things on forums such as this one (and we're being a lot nicer than would be seen over on places like HomebuiltAirplanes.com). I am concerned enough about the attitude you've taken that I'm half tempted to send you a release for my research into injury patterns because I genuinely fear for your safety.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 07-28-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Lots of comments here that disturb me, first for all the internet experts here, flight training is not required for ultralights,(that's the all knowing FAA regulation) perhaps you should apply it like you do the parts you agree with???, second Norm is not taking any advice so just let it go. Norm why you even started this thread is beyond me,the most frequent posters on this forum are drama queens and I have to wonder if they ever really fly at all. You will never receive any acceptance or justification from this forum. Lots of advice, mostly on how to not fly your experimental because you wil die and then no one will ever be able to fly again because it will be "ILLEGAL". This should be called the we hate experimental aircraft unless it's a kit and you had one of us "professionals" build it for you, but you still should never really fly it, forum. Good Luck Norm, you're gonna need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Norm why you even started this thread is beyond me
    I think this is one of the best threads currently running. Norm is a big boy, he can make decisions for himself. The rest is hilarious.

What is lost here. Those of you who read only the rebuttal and I may not be the best defender of any of my statements.

I have 2 CFI flight instructors And I do have a training program !!!

Steve and all the rest of you. I made the mistake .Its beyond that now. Experiments require tests. the results can be disastrous. I was fortunate.
    You and the rest are missing the point of this thread. stop being angry at me and see that its all about not doing what I have done. That is more about getting into this inadequate training situation. In the first place.

The whole presant system is set to put an end to the UL ERA . With inadequate backward compatabity .
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 07-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Steve and all the rest of you. I made the mistake .Its beyond that now. Experiments require tests. the results can be disastrous. I was fortunate.
    Experiments should never be conducted in a way that potentially endangers the test subject to a degree where a reasonable person would consider it likely to inflict serious or lethal harm. They have to be conducted in such a way to learn as much as can be done safely and that includes the 'prep' work. You were very fortunate and hopefully learn from it. That's my only point in all of this.

stop being angry at me
    I'm not angry at you. You're a brother and while I may not agree with your approach to things, I am simply doing my best to look out for you.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

If nothing else, this is certainly one of the more interesting threads running right now!

Norm, I just saw the video on your other thread of your taxi test. I must say, the plane looks far more "advanced" than I had imagined.

Be that as it may, I must urge you again to get some flight training. I know it's not required, but all airplanes fall under the same set of fundamental principles that govern flight. To a greater or lesser degree, they all will handle similarly. All will stall. Power is always altitude, and pitch is always airspeed. Landings are the same general concept, etc. So although you can't get training in a plane exactly like yours (since you've built the only one in the world), ANY flight experience in an LSA or ultralight would help you out considerably. I believe this would be less of a priority if you were building from a set of tried and tested plans or were familiar with flying other aircraft, but you're not, and you don't know how it will handle (which is NOT saying you're not capable of handling it, btw.).

So I hope you'll at least consider what I (and others) have been saying. I've tried to be measured and fair, and I respect what you're doing. It certainly takes guts, and there's nothing illegal about it. But please, consider.....why has this thread provoked such a response, particularly from members of the Experimental Aircraft Association, of all places? Simply put, it's because we care, Norm. We want you to succeed and are alarmed that you are risking your life this way. If we didn't care, we wouldn't post. I know I wouldn't.

So...take care. Keep working on it, get some training, and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I think this is one of the best threads currently running. Norm is a big boy, he can make decisions for himself. The rest is hilarious.
    Your sense of humor is also beyond me! I find the thread interesting as well..... kinda like a you find a wreck "interesting".

reevaluating my position

I want to first say. I never did any flying with out instruction . It was always with specific verbal instruction from a certified . and included the contingent for the high altitude excursion.
    I was to only fly straight and low crow hop landing straight ahead .

I now have stopped any further practice as of yesterday. The fallowing is my concerns to Bob .( not my instructor) and his reply He is an old experienced X pilot

Bob
    I need a sympathetic ear. I flew again this morning,Sat. I am becoming less confident ,a bad thing. I seem to have some fear of heights that I didn't think I would. very uncomfortable and unsure.

I plan to get some dual experience before I go up again.

Nothing went wrong today all went fairly well actually.
    Again my first lift off was to high an excursion very high actually about 100 ft. Light winds and a new angle of incidence .

The second run was better but required me to reduce throttle to maintain level flight at 4 ft for about 2000 ft flight.
    the third was better I found my minimal lift off settings . the plane will fly at 4500 rpm and cruse in ground effect at 4200 lift off speed is 26 mph accelerating to 30 mph descending at 4000 rpm to a smooth reentry if flare is correct and ahead aligned correctly.

It was the high altitude excursion that awakened my concern .I know nothing about my plane up there. I checked the roll rate it was very fast in my opinion even though very precise. The controls are very sensitive. I do not feel comfortable at the low speed because of this. on the other hand the altitude is like another closet door that is dark inside full of unknowns.
    A bit unsettled
    Norm

His reply to me
    Norm...
    First, what you've experienced is not unique, not unusual, and pretty normal. If you recall, I think I told you that experience in conventional three axis aircraft is orders of magnitude different (and better...) than simulator experience. You've just had a small awakening, and it's something you will get over as you get in a plane, crank it up, roll down the runway, climb out and watch the ground grow distant. You'll be so comfortable, there's no sensation of height, and no fear of falling...it's just new.
    The important thing is that you've recognized the fact that you're a bit uncomfortable in the new experience that flying subjects you to...yes, it IS different! And, yes, you ARE alone up there.
    There are a whole bunch of new sensations you're trying to deal with, and your reaction was completely normal. All of us who fly went through it, believe me, and the cure is very simple...more exposure in an atmosphere in which the fear is not there. And that will be sitting in a plane with a certified flight instructor, a CFI who's been around, and in whom you have total confidence. Over a period of time, being guided through both normal and challenging circumstances in an airplane, your confidence will begin to match your instructor's, and soon enough will exceed it. Yes, at some point, you will feel as though Nobody flies a plane better, more skillful;y, and safer, than you. All pilots feel that way...I know I'm "the best pilot in the world," and soon enough, you will, too.
    It's just a matter of time, and experience...you have to KNOW that the plane will do what YOU want it to do, and that knowledge only comes with actually flying a plane. You have to stick the nose up, feel for the stall, and make the recovery. You have to do a 180, 360, and not lose altitude. You have to KNOW when your airspeed is getting too low, and the attitude is too nose high, and instinctively make corrections.
    All the fear, discomfort and anxiety you felt Saturday will disappear, Norm, when you've had a few hours of dual instruction, hopefully in a tail dragger. That's the first order of business, connect with a CFI, spend some time in conversation, get comfortable with him, then...fly a plane. Log 5 or 6 hours of dual instruction, maybe even solo, then think about the ultralight amphib.
    You'll climb back in with new skills, and new confidence...and you'll love every minute you're in the air. You'll take off, leave the water, and climb out to 1,500 feet. fly around the "patch," set up your pattern, and come in for a landing. You'll do it all and enjoy every minute. I know it, Norm...so do you.
    Bob M.

I know no one will agree with me on this next in part reason. I designed .Until now I could not ask anyone to test fly it for me I had to assume that initial responsibility.

It flies and I believe flies well . I am going to have it evaluated as well as some dual instruction. Before I do any thing other than low straight lift and land and probably only one of those after I apply the step blister. My hull had no step it was suppose to be the transom . witch turned out to far aft of the CG,

I still have strong belief I need type specific . I have a ride set up for a T- Bird II

Name:  float changes 021.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  98.9 KBName:  float mod  004.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  95.8 KB the last pictures that are relevant the float wing removed and tail boom float is in place final solution.

(Big exhale....) Finally.....a voice of reason being listened to........and hopefully this saga will not have the conclusion so many of us feared......

The biggest hurdle the novice pilot (or non-pilot...) has to overcome is realizing he doesn't know how much he doesn't know. Once that reality is comprehended actual education can occur, and the process of becoming an aviator can commence.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Good job Norm. Training will help you evaluate and be able to ask the correct questions to improve your craft.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155