Thread: HA! you THOUGHT I would just go away!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HA! you THOUGHT I would just go away!!

O.K. after getting some nice replies from my last post I hit the books! well actually, the web for some information about best type E-LSA to suit me.

I looked at the following criteria:

Kit cost
    Engines and cost
    Reliability
    Included "extras"
    Extra cost items
    Durability
    Ease of repair
    Limitations
    Certification

*Notes and clarifications
    I chose to use the Aeromax Corvair engine with a 3 bladed prop. For me it is a simple straight foreward engine. It has its limitation for a 100hp engine, but it seems that a lot of people have had no major issues, with a good support base and easily available parts. But as with all A/C engines cost and reliability is a major factor. I have found that this can be purchased as a complete unit, engine, 3 bladed prop, and every thing to make it go VAROOOM, for about 15000.00 or 9,950 for just the engine.

I have not addressed the avionics issue, but certain kits come either with or at a reduced cost insturments and some avionics. So the prices reflected, unless noted, will be sans avionics and instruments.

Now the good stuff!

Name---------------------Kit cost----- Engine and props------ Avionics included (yes/ no)-----Total Cost

Zenith Ch-750----------- 22,339.00---- 15,000.00 -------------No-------------------------------37,379.00

KitFox S7S ---------------22,791.00---- 15,000.00------------- No------------------------------ 37,791.00

Just Highlander---------- 23,850.00---- 15,000.00------------- No------------------------------ 38,850.00

SkyRanger V-MAX------- 24,386.00---- 15,000.00 -------------No, $2,095 option------------- 39,368.00

SkyKit Savahanna VG--- 29,995.00---- 15,000.00--------------Yes,----------------------------43,495.00

These are either metal or tube and cloth, I never have worked with tube and cloth but I feel as if they could do it in the earlier days (1900's and up) I should, with proper instruction, be able to complete the job. I have worked with metal (BUT I cannot weld for crap, but I know quite a few who can!)

I am sure now that I have done this search and posted real time (as this date) cost I am sure somebody will say "Jeesh, dude ya missed this one!" I am not interested in an aircraft that is compsite (yet) or flies a zillion miles and hour. Notice all of these aircraft have one thing in common, High wing, slow, utility LSA compatable.

I am really looking at the Savahanna with the avionics package from SkyRanger (EFIS) Or other like packages.

O.K. Ya'll can hit me with yo'uns best shot!

Mike
    PKB (thats Parkersburg West Virginia, Gill Rob Field)
    Last edited by Gently56; 02-28-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Skykit price is in wrong place