Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-28 Annual Inspection Checklist

T-28 Annual Inspection Checklist

Hello to all fellow members. I am new to the forum and I recently acquired a T-28A and I'm trying to find a, T-28 PDF or some type of printable "Annual Inspection Checklist".
    Thanks in advance for any help, Bill.

Best bet would be to join NATA and order the books on the T-28 that you will need. These are 3 of the biggies:

T-28B/C PERIODIC MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS, NAVAIR 01-60FGB-6, Mar, '67

T-28B/C INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS INTERMEDIATE & MAJOR, NAVWEPS 01-60FGB-7, May '63

1T-28A-2, T-28A & D MAINTENANCE MANUAL 800 pages

If you are still running an R-1300, you will want R-1300 books too.

NATA is a great organization. If you're flying or maintaining one of the aircraft they cover, you need to be a member.

Bill. I am not a 28 owner nor an expert on them, but my impression from watching an annual is that they are complex. If this is your first annual on a new to you plane, it may be really worthwhile to have a shop who is expert and experienced in 28s do the work, and maybe with you watching. You don't say if you are an A &P or where you are. I think N A must have gotten paid by the pound when they built them, thers's a lot of ironmongery in there!
    This maybe be way out of date, but there is an AD, I think on a tail reinforcement mod that is vital, without it tails have come apart so make sure that has been done to your plane. And years ago there were some engine failure problems, don't recall any details on that. Good luck
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-25-2019 at 06:11 AM.

The proper books are critical. I do not own or operate a T-28 (and I think it is cool that you do!) I have a lowly O-2A. After 12 years, I changed maintenance shops and it is fun to watch them go through the annual with the manuals I provided. The mechanics are surprised by the USAF maintenance manuals and inspection cards. Surprised because the way they are written, as one observed, makes it, "so easy to follow. How to do everything is explained." I was told that during initial inspection, they saw several things in the plane that "didn't look right, but then we checked the manual and found out it was exactly the way it way supposed to be." I am not doing an owner assisted annual, but I am there enough to see that things are being done properly and to answer questions that may come up. In your case you will learn a lot by being there and asking questions yourself. Definitely make yourself familiar with the manuals and the inspection documents. I am not a mechanic and not competent to work on anything much more advanced than an early 70's Super Beetle, butI learned a lot about the plane from reading the military maintenance manuals.

Another source for the manuals is Essco: https://www.esscoaircraft.com/c-9780...28-series.aspx
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Check with AirCorps Library. They might have the documents you are looking for.

Some years ago a T-28 owner was nice enough to let me fly his plane. I had never flown one before, maybe not even sat in one and it was in an airshow, but I managed and other than feeling like I was sitting on the 2nd floor it seemed pretty easy So he asked me to help with an possible engine problem. I am not an A&P, but did have Air Force training so I'd give it a try. I didn't find an exact cause, it started and indicated ok, but just didn't sound right. No Merlin or Ferrari sound. Then an old timer told us the reason that it always sounds to be missing on at least one cylinder.Its a 9 cylinder radial and the firing order is even cylinders on M W F, and odd cylinders on T TH Sat. On Sunday the engine gets very confused and that's where that sound comes from.

It's the USAF A model that has the funky exhaust. As bill aludes, you here only about half the firings on either side making it sound like it is not running smoothly. The later B/C models (Navy) had a different exhaust system (six stacks rather than four) which gave you a smoother note.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    It's the USAF A model that has the funky exhaust. As bill aludes, you here only about half the firings on either side making it sound like it is not running smoothly. The later B/C models (Navy) had a different exhaust system (six stacks rather than four) which gave you a smoother note.
    The A version had an R-1300 and the B/C version had the R-1820. I'm guessing the engine change drove the exhaust change and also resulted in the altered exhaust note.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The A version had an R-1300 and the B/C version had the R-1820. I'm guessing the engine change drove the exhaust change and also resulted in the altered exhaust note.
    Seriously, guys, I liked Bill's explanation better.

Ron "That's a First" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-29-2019 at 09:33 PM.