Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I'm 45 now, and have been a member of our flying club since 1996 - in all that time I have always been the youngest member to regularly attend meetings, which I don't really understand as we have some younger members, they just don't participate in anything.
    I really think it's a 2 way street. If you could get a few young people to show up, I don't doubt you could boost the number of younger members who would attend chapter meetings. However, one of the big issues I see (not to step on any toes) is that there is a vast cultural difference between people under the age of 30 today and those over the age of say 50. That doesn't help the situation at all, in my opinion.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I'm 45 now, and have been a member of our flying club since 1996 - in all that time I have always been the youngest member to regularly attend meetings, which I don't really understand as we have some younger members, they just don't participate in anything.
    No disrespect to Young Eagles, but what I think we really need is "Thirty Something Eagles".

We need to target people that can afford to learn to fly an LSA and have the common media-induced misconceptions about flying small aircraft that can be dispelled with a quick introduction to sport flying.

"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
    No disrespect to Young Eagles, but what I think we really need is "Thirty Something Eagles".

We need to target people that can afford to learn to fly an LSA and have the common media-induced misconceptions about flying small aircraft that can be dispelled with a quick introduction to sport flying.

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-08...ult_eagles.asp

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I agree, when I joined many years ago it was all about home built aircraft, warbirds and antique aircraft. I sure wish it would go back to that. IO have built 4 aircraft and at age 76 I have started my last project, a 2/3 replica of a Ryan 1937 Ryan ST.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Fantastic!

If my local chapter (174) supports this program, I will participate.

"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    There we go!

Earlier this year our chapter participated in Learn to Fly Day and were surprised with the turn out. Yes, we did a fair amount of advertising, but none the less there seems to be an genuine interest with the adults in and around our community. Even if they don't pick up the flight training manual right away, I'm sure all of them that flew with us will remember it forever. Never know when the urge will strike.

Speaking of Learn to Fly Day... will this be taking place of that event? What time of the year does EAA plan to hold this event? Learn to Fly day being in May, followed by Young Eagles in June... just wondering how many of these types of events will be scheduled in close sucession. Honestly, it takes a bit of work (and expense) to put on a decent event, so spreading them out a bit would be appreciated. The middle of summer would not be preferred, especially in the hot southern states... and the fall is jamed with fly-in activity. Hmm.

I know, there are only so many weekends in the year, but we have to consider people's budgets (the pilots and their fuel) as well as the volunteer support within the chapters. Don't want to burn everyone out.

Great idea on the new Eagles program!

Fantastic!

If my local chapter (174) supports this program, I will participate.

Barnstorm... Why do YOU support this program and make sure your chapter follows suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gerald Clark View Post
    I agree, when I joined many years ago it was all about home built aircraft, warbirds and antique aircraft. I sure wish it would go back to that. IO have built 4 aircraft and at age 76 I have started my last project, a 2/3 replica of a Ryan 1937 Ryan ST.
    Robert,
    While I have built and done a great deal of work on aircraft, I am foremost a PILOT and if I had the money I would NEVER turn a wrench on an aircraft again.

This issue (builders vs Pilots) has been a struggle in some of the local EAA chapters. Builders complain that not enough is done to teach building and to encourage building and the pilots complain that not enough flying is done and don't to just sit around TALKING about aircraft but want to fly them.

IMHO, what is needed is a REALITY CHECK.

Our hobby no longer has the numbers to support dividing into smaller and smaller subcultures that fail to work together.

We must look for and exploit our COMMON interests for our sport to survive and grow again.

Builders, Pilots, Mechanics, Sport Pilots, GA pilots, Commercial Pilots, FBOs, R/C Pilots, Rotorcraft Pilots, Glider Pilots every subculture has to come TOGETHER.

I know it is a terrible thing to ask people to page past stories that are not focused in on our individual interests but we must follow the numbers.

I hope all of us are making some effort to popularize our sport and dispel the media-induced misconceptions about small aircraft.

Last edited by Barnstorm; 11-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    Barnstorm... Why do YOU support this program and make sure your chapter follows suit!
    I already do, in my own way. I have given over 20 free rides to adults this year and if we get a few warm days I might be able to do some more!

I already do, in my own way. I have given over 20 free rides to adults this year and if we get a few warm days I might be able to do some more!

That's great! I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that you weren't already playing an active role. Just trying to suggest that sometimes it only takes someone to step up and drive the issue, provide some organization and ask for help. If you are doing that already, then I'm sure you can get your chapter involved in some manner.