Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Constantly under-promise and very occasionally over-deliver, that's my motto.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    While I haven't seen similar activity for Chapter-centric discussions, it's easy to see how it could, so I think a Chapters forum makes good sense.
    Great to see the responsiveness Hal! Will Brenda Anderson (I think) be watching for Chapter talk activity? I will let my Chapter's officer's know that this section is here now, not sure they have checked in on the new forums yet!

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Thanks Hal! Honestly, I check out the boards almost every day, but somehow I missed your post on this subject... I appreciate your approach. I hope that Chapter organizers and members will make use of the new section. I'll try to do my part.

Thank again!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Prohibited? Why would a section like that be prohibited? This thread is the first time I've seen talk of a Chapters section...I think it's a great idea!
    I realize I used a strong word, but I figured that since the chapter section didn't happen (until today) that someone had said "no" somewhere along the line. It did seem to help stir the pot though.

Thanks Hal. It looks like I'm going to be volunteered to be chapter president next year, but we've got a ton of organizational issues that threaten our continued operation. Hopefully I can get some good discussions going that can help. First though is going back out with the chain saw.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 11-07-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: corrected grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Will Brenda Anderson (I think) be watching for Chapter talk activity?
    Jim - yep! In fact she's been "drafted" into my virtual team of forum moderators, so look out!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

I hope like heck they're paying you and the EAA forum minions well - the goodwill and good faith efforts are precisely what will keep the organization relevant and dynamic.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks for that, Frank, you made my morning. It might sound clichéd, but it's our privilege to serve EAA's membership.

And, in the midst of this spirited dialogue about the magazine and even the organization as a whole, I have to say it's really nice to be able to step in with a quick and easy fix to at least one issue.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    And times have changed. Face it, the way experimental aviation works has changed too. Today you can buy a "kit plane" that was built by a professional builder. Or you can buy a kit that includes a trip to an assembly factory, in which you barely assist in the building of said aircraft.

Like it or not, the demographics have changed within the organization. They in no way favor the inclusion of young people. Often times, being one of the youngest people in the forum, I feel like the older crowd wants nothing to do with the young people, unless they think exactly alike. This is one of the main reasons I've never become a chapter member. I've been to a few different chapter events, and never once have felt welcome at my age.

Perhaps its time for EAA to consider the future, or soon there will be no EAA.
    Just wanted to jump in and say, as a fellow young person, I feel you on this.

Although I do belong to a local chapter and they're a nice group of guys (I help out with out annual fly-in, pancake breakfast, and Young Eagle rallies) it's not exactly a young man's club, either. I really wish there were more groups/resources for younger folks like us.

I'm not even all that interested in homebuilding (right now) but a group of similarly-aged people who don't have as much money, etc. to put into flying could be quite valuable.
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdilullo View Post
    it's not exactly a young man's club, either. I really wish there were more groups/resources for younger folks like us.
    I'm 45 now, and have been a member of our flying club since 1996 - in all that time I have always been the youngest member to regularly attend meetings, which I don't really understand as we have some younger members, they just don't participate in anything.