Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Here's a thought, EAA already has divisions for vintage aircraft, aerobatics, etc... perhaps it's time for an "experimental" or "homebuilder" division, with its own magazine...

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I am inclined to question why a 'technical guy' has to depend on a magazine for his info....
    Maybe the technical guy has something to share? Remember publications are as much an outlet for one, as a resource for another. And thats were SA used to bridge the "professionals" and the "enthusiasts", it was a common place for one to learn from another, and it went both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Even professional engineers read trade publications to see what new products area available, and maybe get ideas for new or different ways of doing things. This is no different.
    And they make us do CPE to keep our licenses...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    thank goodness we're not still trying to have this conversation on the old forum!
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Here's a thought, EAA already has divisions for vintage aircraft, aerobatics, etc... perhaps it's time for an "experimental" or "homebuilder" division, with its own magazine...
    We did, it was called Sport Aviation!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Peril View Post
    We did, it was called Sport Aviation!
    And times have changed. Face it, the way experimental aviation works has changed too. Today you can buy a "kit plane" that was built by a professional builder. Or you can buy a kit that includes a trip to an assembly factory, in which you barely assist in the building of said aircraft.

Like it or not, the demographics have changed within the organization. They in no way favor the inclusion of young people. Often times, being one of the youngest people in the forum, I feel like the older crowd wants nothing to do with the young people, unless they think exactly alike. This is one of the main reasons I've never become a chapter member. I've been to a few different chapter events, and never once have felt welcome at my age.

Perhaps its time for EAA to consider the future, or soon there will be no EAA.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by dewi8095 View Post
    Chad and Hall are to be commended for their steadfast support of EAA's position. From the information they have provided, it appears that experimenters, homebuilders, ultralight flyers, & maybe even sport pilots, currently represent a 1/3rd minority in the organizational membership. If that is the case, we can expect a minority's share of Sport Pilot. It has to be so because the 2/3rd's wants and needs must be met or those members will drop out. The 2/3rds group seems to be the growing segment of EAA, so that is where the organizational emphasis will be.
    My opinion is that the 2/3 of the membership which isn't active in homebuilding is interested in homebuilding, antiques, or warbirds, which is why they joined EAA. They want to read about interesting things, things they aspire to do. Sort of like I read articles about climbing Mt Everest, but never expect to make that climb (or plan to do it after I retire). Or like I subscribe to "Fine Woodworking" magazine, not because I'm a great woodworker or ever will be, but because I aspire to be one. That's the beauty of Sport Aviation magazine - it gives aviation enthusiasts something to dream about.

Turning it into a transportation magazine (or devoting meaningful space to that) is a great way to quench the fires and aspirations of enthusiasts everwhere

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Peril View Post
    I'm sorry Chad but an article on a turbine corporate airplane does not belong in this magazine period! This is SPORT AVIATION MAGAZINE!!!!!! If pilots want to read about new GA aircraft let them buy Flying or Pilot. And I ask again has Mac ever even sat in a homebuilt airplane or flown one? Get an editor that speaks sport flying. The comparison with what happened to "New Coke" is a good one. Don
    Oh come on! Don't be such a Debbie Downer! I'm certain that there is a huge number of members that would love to fly their TBM when they aren't flying their Flybaby or Champ or something. I posted to my friends on the National Waco Club forum (Best type club of all time!) that if I saw an article about a replica AVN-8 (the tri-gear cabin Waco) that had a PT-6 and glass cockpit I would set myself on fire like a protesting Buddhist monk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    My opinion is that the 2/3 of the membership which isn't active in homebuilding is interested in homebuilding, antiques, or warbirds, which is why they joined EAA. They want to read about interesting things, things they aspire to do. Sort of like I read articles about climbing Mt Everest, but never expect to make that climb (or plan to do it after I retire). Or like I subscribe to "Fine Woodworking" magazine, not because I'm a great woodworker or ever will be, but because I aspire to be one. That's the beauty of Sport Aviation magazine - it gives aviation enthusiasts something to dream about.

Turning it into a transportation magazine (or devoting meaningful space to that) is a great way to quench the fires and aspirations of enthusiasts everwhere
    I agree completely; there's no quicker way to kill the homebuilt movement than to make it appear fringe.

I remember my first convention as a 7 year old. We walked to a theater and watched a film, camped in tents and had ICE cold showers. I remember reading a Sport Aviation article by Tony Binglelis about building his Piel Emeruade while I hid inside my sleeping bag, in a tent trying to keep the magazine from getting wet during a pouring rain (tents were even literally blowing down the road that convention). I loved that convention; someday I would build my own airplane!

I never thought when I was 7 that I would be heading into the "older" segment of members. I am slowly building my own airplane and have a smile every time I have a moment to do so. That idea is only fostered by articles in Sport Aviation that discuss and showcase building, however basic it might be. If that ceases, as it has certainly been doing progressively over many years, this organization will cease to be much more than AOPA that originated with homebuilder roots "many years ago"!

I agree that much discussed very quickly here in a forum was once only contained in the publication. If however the highlights contained here regarding building are not also a prominent feature, and a core element, of the flagship EAA publication SPORT AVIATION the future is bleak. Young people will not dream of building an aircraft because the seed and an idea that building is possible are not adequately conveyed. Online release of the publications for digital reading on iPads and laptops, as well as the forums, is important to reach an audience that will increasingly find paper publications “quaint”. The roots of EAA are clear and unless we foster those as the future, EAA will cease to be relevant but simply another aviation organization.