Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Matthew and Steve have brought to light the division that exists even amongst homebuilders....we can't even agree on what is practical and what is not----
    Which is why the magazine- to paraphrase Paul's admonition about what the EAA should be- should be broad enough to cover the interests of all involved. That's my point and has been from word one. Trying to limit the magazine to our own narrow interests is simply going to cause more strife. I don't care if people want to cover non-certed engines (to respond to Spungey's suggestion) but I'm not going to read that article because I don't like non-certified engines. Same goes for articles about ultralights and other light aircraft which I have philosophically outgrown (for lack of a better term). But at the same time, there needs to be articles about the top of the line in certified aircraft to inspire those of us who want to emulate that and articles about the "gee whiz" type certifications in aircraft beyond the grasp of the average homebuilder.

so how the heck can we ever expect SA to reach us all at our own level of comfort and skill???
    By "compartmentalizing" the magazine into a series of sections each covering a specific aspect of the EAA each month. The only way that will happen is if people spend half the energy they do whining on here actually writing for the magazine. Given how well a lot of the folks on here write when someone says something they disagree with, I find it hard to believe that their writing skills are not good enough for a trade magazine. You don't have to be John Steinbeck to produce a readable article. Pretty much anyone who graduated high school (especially pre-1990) and can refrain from drooling on themselves in social situations can turn out a decent article which is all the magazine needs. We're not shooting for Pulitzers here, we're just trying to fix the "problems" that everyone keeps pointing out.

Please take this for what it's worth --- an no offense intended toward anyone.....
    None taken at all. I have pretty thick skin and can see the other side of the coin even though I don't necessarily enjoy those aspects of aviation.

In the 1990's we experimenters had our own magazine. Anyone else remember "EAA Experimenter"? I loved it then and would love it now. All about not simply how-to, but tools, shops and even some of the underlying philosophy of the DIY world. It was small--typically 30 pages or so. I always wanted more meat in even it. Maybe it's about "Those who want to build, build. Those who want to write, write." Few of us have Ron W's gift for both. Both skills can be learned, though.
    Ron's a man to be emulated and envied in many ways.

Perhaps we could take Chad and the other powers that be into producing the Experimenter as a PDF every month and making it freely available? I certainly would prefer it in that format over a hard copy format (and it's easily printable if one is so inclined) and if it's "open access" then it's a good recruiting tool.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I spend so much time keeping up with the forums that I get the eye roll from my wife on a nightly basis...
    Ah....the law of unintended consequences with regards to the "Yes dear, go ahead and take that job with the EAA"?

Yeah, it's not a hard copy, but the feedback we get on the current Experimenter is crying out for a pdf downloadable magazine, rather than a newsletter. I hope to launch it in the next few months...
    LOL It's like my brain's that tree and you're those little Keebler elves. It's kind of creepy. LOL

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Ah....the law of unintended consequences with regards to the "Yes dear, go ahead and take that job with the EAA"?
    Nail on head. She's very understanding...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    LOL It's like my brain's that tree and you're those little Keebler elves. It's kind of creepy. LOL
    It's something I've been slowly working on since I got here, and we now have a project charter to present to the rest of the leadership team in the next week or two.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Chad, I'm unfortunately not an expert -- and probably not even a page ahead in anyone's documentation -- on anything really interesting. I can probably squeeze a few hours each month to write something if people who actually do know something are willing to team up.
    Richard Johnson, EAA #395588

So....finally got the research article done. Time to start on the revisions to the SA articles. This should be a lot more fun.

Talk about having an article hit ALL of the bases..... this one knocked the ball out of the park: Mike Busch's article "The Most Unforgivable Sin" in this months issue. VERY WELL DONE MIKE! Thank you!

OMG! Somethng positive. Write that date on your calendar! I wouldn't have believed it.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

It seems many of the articles now are like infomercials. Last month was a story about do it yourself interiors. Great! But all it was was an advert for a company that makes interior kits. How many other articles have we read pushing glass technology and such while mentioning the manufacturers. Its the same with all magazines today. Look at the car magazines. Ever see a road test that was bad? Not often and the ones that are good have a full page ad ($$$$) for that particular vehicle on the next page.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephenson View Post
    I remember long ago when the Sport Aviation magazine was all about homebuilt airplanes. Now it seems that the magazine has changed directions. It does not seem to be centered around homebuilt airplanes anymore...What do you guys think?

Steve Stephenson
    i just finished the June 2012 issue in less than 35 minutes. other than the "members building" section, nada on experimentals. closest was a multipage uncompensated (?) advertisement for Van's Aircraft. i quit taking Flying magazine decades ago because i was tired of reading pilot reports of bonanzas (a great airplane, in my opinion) and ads for jets i'd never be able to ride in, much less own. now Sport Aviation is Flying. check out page 96 and the inside back cover. goooood bye.
    Last edited by Mike M; 06-06-2012 at 10:10 PM.

I read June 2012 yesterday, too. Enjoyed it. Another great job with a wide variety of content.

I suspect there is a "greater than normal" internal effort to feature/stress experiences related to growing the pilot population. I base this on the content in many of the "columns". I was particularly touched (I guess that's the right word?) by Mr. Payne's article. I benefited from the kindness of others when I started flying. I hope to give back to the same degree some day.