Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Peril View Post
    And I ask again has Mac ever even sat in a homebuilt airplane or flown one? Get an editor that speaks sport flying. The comparison with what happened to "New Coke" is a good one. Don
    I honestly can't answer this Don. I'd be happy to ask him, just met him last week, and have had limited interaction with him at this point. I'll be working with him on homebuilding coverage going forward though.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when someone said there was a TBM 850 article in SA. Talk about losing touch with your audience......
    Well not really...the percentage of members that are not homebuilders, or don't have a strong interest in homebuilding is about 2/3rds of the membership. I am a homebuilder, and the homebuilding community thru EAA has been entrusted to me, but while the TBM article won't appeal to some (I've flown one for about 40 hours or so, and it's a great airplane), it may appeal to others. It actually doesn't appeal to me, but I'll take it all because EAA is so much more than an article on the TBM, or Sport Aviation for that matter. It's appeal is being broadened for sure...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Well not really...the percentage of members that are not homebuilders, or don't have a strong interest in homebuilding is about 2/3rds of the membership. I am a homebuilder, and the homebuilding community thru EAA has been entrusted to me, but while the TBM article won't appeal to some (I've flown one for about 40 hours or so, and it's a great airplane), it may appeal to others. It actually doesn't appeal to me, but I'll take it all because EAA is so much more than an article on the TBM, or Sport Aviation for that matter. It's appeal is being broadened for sure...

Chad, if someone joined EAA to read about spam cans then they joined the wrong club. I fail to see how this broadens the appeal of the publication. To me is indicates someone is losing focus. Again, going back to an EAA survey a while back I indicated "how to fly" and "romance" articles have zero appeal to me. Had they asked about pilot reports on production airplanes, I would have added that to the list. If that is what I need, I will look elsewhere. Apparently I'm the only one that feels that way so I guess I'll have to find another narrow focused pub that is not trying to please everyone.

Marty you are not the only one that feels this way, I agree with you. Sport Aviation is going downhill fast. The story has come out of HQ that Mac Mclelland described Burt Rutan as a failure. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...d.php?p=792874

I'll stand down now and let the 2/3rds of the membership not interested in homebuilts login and praise the TBM article. If thats what everyone wants then I guess I'm the one in the wrong club.

Again, this info on what Mac "said" was posted on VAF with an anonymous user and the details are incorrect.
    Last edited by Chad Jensen; 10-26-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I'll stand down now and let the 2/3rds of the membership not interested in homebuilts login and praise the TBM article. If thats what everyone wants then I guess I'm the one in the wrong club.
    I know I'm not going to win the argument here, nor am I trying...just providing facts as they are reported thru membership surveys. I don't want you to stand down. This is a good discussion, one that is happening on many type forums, and I'm happy to help wherever I can to provide info.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

So since 2/3rds of the members are non builders does that mean that 2/3rds of the content is going to be GA stuff? The reason the 2/3rds have always joined EAA is to keep up with the innovations of the experimental world and dream about maybe building or having some of the innovations in their own airplanes. I've been a member over 25 years and have built two airplanes, restored three and building another RV7. I'll give it a year and see where EAA goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    It's appeal is being broadened for sure...
    Hmmm, Ferarri could "broaden its appeal" by building a 4 seat economy car or a soccer mom minivan... but it wouldn't be Ferarri any more...

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Hmmm, Ferarri could "broaden its appeal" by building a 4 seat economy car or a soccer mom minivan... but it wouldn't be Ferarri any more...
    Fair point, Dana, but one of EAA's goals is to grow sport aviation, while Ferrari is not out there to grow driving...

The idea of broadening the appeal of the magazine, and I'm essentially quoting Rod here, is meant to be an additive thing, not a shift in focus, and sure as **** not an abandonment of our base / history / core / legacy whatever you want to call it.

In that same breath, Rod issued the challenge to Chad and his boss, as well as to our Publications team, to significantly step up and enhance homebuilder / "craftsman" coverage across all media. I haven't known Chad very long, but, from what I've seen, he could do a lot of that singlehandedly, though, obviously, he won't be. However ... I don't mind saying that he needs your input, ideas, content and most of all, your support to keep building on the excellent work he's already started in his short time on the job.

This is a great discussion, and a great example of one of the key reasons we have forums in the first place. Well, I guess this is the "second place" ... thank goodness we're not still trying to have this conversation on the old forum!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation