Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Oh Boy! I just glanced at this months SA. Mac gives a flight report on the Socata Turbine. What in the heck has that got to do with sport aviation? If this is the way the new regime at EAA is going I'm outa here!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Peril View Post
    Oh Boy! I just glanced at this months SA. Mac gives a flight report on the Socata Turbine. What in the heck has that got to do with sport aviation? If this is the way the new regime at EAA is going I'm outa here!
    Now, I'm sure there is a quarter page article on homebuilding in there....somewhere.

Mac could have done a pirep on a Lancair Evolution or IV Turbine. Be much more appropriate for this magazine. Has Mac ever flown a homebuilt?

Mac has gotta go. On the cover it said about an article on the history of Socata. That I could have gone for. Instead it is an article about the TBM with a little side bar on the history of the company. How about articles on RVs, rans, the searay, velocitys, Classic cessnas pipers etc. An article on the TBM 850 has nothing to do with sport aviation. I am really glad you guys brought Lane over from flying. Lets make her editor. Lane knows what sport aviation is about. Mac go back to flying or see if you can go to AOPA is this is the type of stuff you want to right about. Just use this simple rule: If it cost over $500,000 and is not a Warbird, Classic, Antique, or Home built it doesn't belong in Sport Aviation. We need to do articles on ways to keep flying cheaper not more expensive. How about How to build a pole barn hangar, getting a bunch of people together to build a grass strip to keep their planes at. Articles on how to weld, cover with fabric, sheet metal work. Do a series on each that cover the basics. Just look at Kitplanes for ideas. How about the 16 owner allowed maintenance items.

This months column by Stiles is relevant. Let keep him writing this way. Lauren Paine is good as well. You guys had a first class magazine. Lets get back to it.

Keith
    Last edited by KDoersom; 10-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

IMO, that's throwing the baby out with the bath water. Regardless of how far Sport Aviation slips, I think EAA is a worthwhile organization.

That said, I believe the EAA is headed for a "New Coke" moment where it'll wake up one day and realize that long term members are leaving because the product is no longer what they grew to like. The question is how much damage will have occurred in the meantime.

I wonder how long it will be before homebuilts are banned from AirVenture?

Stick around...I think you'll like what is coming. ;o) Homebuilding articles are still there...nothing has been cut, just new and different content that does appeal to a large portion of membership. Great article on the Super Chub, Hands On, What our Members are Building, Member Central...lots of homebuilder stuff is still there...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Now, I'm sure there is a quarter page article on homebuilding in there....somewhere.
    See my previous post...there's a lot more homebuilding coverage in the issue than non-homebuilding articles.
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before homebuilts are banned from AirVenture?
    Now that's just silly...:o)
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Now that's just silly...:o)
    That's exactly what I thought when someone said there was a TBM 850 article in SA. Talk about losing touch with your audience......

I'm sorry Chad but an article on a turbine corporate airplane does not belong in this magazine period! This is SPORT AVIATION MAGAZINE!!!!!! If pilots want to read about new GA aircraft let them buy Flying or Pilot. And I ask again has Mac ever even sat in a homebuilt airplane or flown one? Get an editor that speaks sport flying. The comparison with what happened to "New Coke" is a good one. Don