We were kicking around homebuilt safety awhile ago, with the "certified is the only safe way" and "that's not necessarily so" sides well represented.

We all know that while experimental aircraft have a disproportunate percentage of wrecks versus their portion of the GA planes out there, but what strikes me is this fact:

"More than half (53 percent) of the E-AB accidents investigated in 2011 involved E-AB aircraft that were bought used, as opposed to having been built by the current owner. "

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-01-24_survey.asp

I was wondering what is really driving that, and came up with some possibilities:*

1) The buyer of an experimental is moving to a lighter aircraft from a heavier one and hasn't done proper transition training (similar to the problems many PPL's are having when they decide to fly under Sport Pilot rules, where the aircraft require more dilligent handling, particularly in crosswinds).

2) The builder is physically different from the new owner. For example, my little Nieuport will meet CG requirements using the standard 170 pound dummy weight. However, the seat, pedals, ground trimming, controls, and sweet spot for CG will really be based around my 145 pound, 5'7" body. If some guy at 240 pounds and 6'2" buys it he may be in big trouble when he gets into a little trouble.

3) The new owner may be clueless on maintenance of an experimental, particularly if the engine is non-certified.

Any other ideas?

* This assumes no gross defect in design and building with a proven record of safe operation.