Hi,

N19WT came with spade-style, wire connectors. In my line of work, we use polarized, latching, power connectors to prevent accidental disconnects and miss alignment. But when I checked Wicks and Spruce, I didn't find connector kits.

I didn't find much help on the FAA web site about connector standard. However, the military has a long history of 'private proofing' connectors but they are usually heavy and expensive. I just need a better solution than spade lugs for my wing wiring.

Right now, I'm thinking Molex, wire-to-wire, Saber connector kit. The connectors are latching, polarized and well exceed the current required. Their temperature range is -40-105 C and should be easy to anchor. But I'm new to aircraft practices.

Is there a consensus on light aircraft, power connectors?

Absent a credible standard, I'm going to use the following color code:
  • black - ground and current return
  • red - 12V power
  • blue - signal
  • white - legacy wire, planning to replace
Wicks carries quality wire in these colors. In those cases where part leads or built-in conductors exist and need to be joined, I'll use color coded, heat-shrink over the joint or a colored heat-shrink band to identify the cable. As for wire joints, I'm a solder and heat-shrink fan.

Bob Wilson