Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: requirements for build documentation....

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    HAHAHA! that gave me a laugh, but that is the way it SHOULD be.
    Well the choice is easy. Sell the project for the $1/pound scrap price, or talk to the FAA. Me, I'd talk to the FAA.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Okay, for most of us "normal" builders this won't be a problem.I won't bore you with my tube and fabric vagabond copy.
    Oh, please do. In fact, if you need any help, let me know. I'm always happy to offer an extra set of hands.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Was the original question answered? If not, the FAA will not inspect your stab. As folks have mentioned, the FAA expects you to take pictures and log your work. The log books and photos are presented to the DAR who does the final inspection. Not only does the FAA not do house calls any more, I understand that most final inspections are referred to DAR's (Designated Airworthiness Representatives). The FAA would be "free" but you pay for the DAR. So all of the suggestions about builders logs are great advice.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    ....and I've found most DARs to be pleasant, reasonable and willing to help as much as they can in unusual circumstances. As Ron pointed out, it can't hurt to ask.

To the OP, if G-d forbid nothing works and you absolutely can't get it approved for flight, might you consider letting my research group use the cockpit structure for a crash test to help further aviation safety? We'll even cut it up for scrapping when we're done. The same goes for anyone with an non-flyable and non-repairable aircraft of any variety sitting around. We might actually also be able to offer a tax write-off soon for such donations once our NPO status comes through.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff, I think ,I'll make some calls to DAR's. I supose they have the last say in the matter, and if they are willing to work with me, they will let know what is needed to pass.

again thanks for the replies

Buy the EAA homebuilder paperwork kit - all the forms are in there WITH INSTRUCTIONS AND EXAMPLES OF THEM FILLED OUT, as well as when one should submit them. It also contains decals for the dash and other stuff.

http://www.shopeaa.com/amateur-built...cationkit.aspx

I like to take bits of my plane to the monthly EAA meeting. 1) I'm a hopeless ham who likes to show off; 2) I get great feedback and suggestions, often not of the positive nature; 3) it ensures the meeting won't be boring.

I'd suggest you find out who your DAR is and meet them - it's an enlightening experience worth the time. You'll find out what they look for, common mistakes they find, and advice on safe builds.

Our DAR says he rarely looks at build logs, as it only takes a few questions to figure out if a fellow has actually built the plane or not. Usually the builder references it if there's a question on how something is done.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.