Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: requirements for build documentation....

You should absolutely get a tech counselor to look at your project in various stages, they have a nice little sheet that they fill out so it's even more irrefutable you did the work.Since I'm basically the most stubborn person on the planet, I would never do what "steveinindy" is going to do, I really don't want that many drama queens nitpicking my plane. My suggestion is find someone who has built something similar and actually flies it, to look it over, it's a major plus if that guy is an EAA tech counselor. My logs consist of a steno note pad with dated entries and a receipt folder from parts and materials. I have some pictures but not that many, I need a few more with me in them although if the inspector comes out to the farm he'll see where it was built. My bet is unless it looks suspect to him he may never look at them.I'll let you all know hopefully this summer.

OK how about us one? Your EX. burns or throws every thing away. Gone every thing! So now it's been sitting in the barn for along time. So you want to make it legal to fly some where now. Say you bought it ? and go from there? Nice bird, but it's only a grass strip plane now,as it sits or what ever. Migged every Al. tube.
    Cry for the DAR?

Rebuiild the logs? experimental exhibition? passive non-compliance? oh you said legal. buy paperwork /and plate from a scrapped similar model, oh that legal thing again. part it out and start over? lots of choices not many good or easy ones, take consolation in knowing you are not the first to feel this pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Samyguy View Post
    OK how about us one? Your EX. burns or throws every thing away. Gone every thing! So now it's been sitting in the barn for along time. So you want to make it legal to fly some where now. Say you bought it ? and go from there? Nice bird, but it's only a grass strip plane now,as it sits or what ever. Migged every Al. tube.
    Cry for the DAR?
    There's a reason why I keep copies of everything related to my design in at least two places physically and scan all the documents and e-mail them back to myself.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

My suggestion is find someone who has built something similar and actually flies it, to look it over, it's a major plus if that guy is an EAA tech counselor.
    Such is the problem with designing and building an entirely new aircraft. Also, when you're designing something a little more sporty than an RV and bigger than your standard homebuilt, you're going to likely be out of the "comfort zone" of a lot of the tech counselors.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrom View Post
    Thanks all! I guess I need to purchase a log book.
    Just an ordinary three-ring binder should be OK.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Samyguy View Post
    Cry for the DAR?
    Depends on what kind of plane it is...if it's a typical garden-variety scratch-built airplane, the inspector won't need as much convincing. If you show up with a nearly-ready-to-fly RV-10, they might want to be sure you didn't have a hired gun.

Are you the original builder? Shouldn't be too hard. If it were me, I'd start a new log. First entry would be along the lines of, "Previous builder's log missing. To the best of my recollection, construction was started on XX/XX/XXX, and approximately XXX hours had been expended so far. Commercial parts used include XXXXX, XXXXX, and XXXX."

If you did the MIG welding like your posting implies, grab some scrap tubing and make up a structure, taking pictures along the way, especially having someone take a picture of you actually welding it.

Contact your local FSDO. Ask to speak to an airworthiness inspector. Explain the situation, and while you can't document the construction so far, you can demonstrate that you have the requisite welding skills that would be required to build.

Again, depending on the type of aircraft, I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Ultimately, you have to submit a signed affidavit that the majority of the aircraft was built for education and recreation. THAT'S the official claim. The logbooks just back it up. With enough coordination with the FAA in advance, I don't think there'd be too much of a problem.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Such is the problem with designing and building an entirely new aircraft. Also, when you're designing something a little more sporty than an RV and bigger than your standard homebuilt, you're going to likely be out of the "comfort zone" of a lot of the tech counselors.
    Okay, for most of us "normal" builders this won't be a problem.I won't bore you with my tube and fabric vagabond copy.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    . With enough coordination with the FAA in advance, I don't think there'd be too much of a problem.

Ron Wanttaja
    HAHAHA! that gave me a laugh, but that is the way it SHOULD be.

Was the original question answered? If not, the FAA will not inspect your stab. As folks have mentioned, the FAA expects you to take pictures and log your work. The log books and photos are presented to the DAR who does the final inspection. Not only does the FAA not do house calls any more, I understand that most final inspections are referred to DAR's (Designated Airworthiness Representatives). The FAA would be "free" but you pay for the DAR. So all of the suggestions about builders logs are great advice.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS