Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to EAA

Well, I did not expect to start a melee over grass strips! And I thank everyone for their retorts, but the questions remain. I am right now looking at the Kitfox s7 and the Zenith Ch750 both seem to fit the bill, I like the Savannah and the RAN S7S but there is no folding wing option for them. The Corsair is an interesting idea but I do not think it suited for a first build aircraft (guess I will have to build a bigger hanger). By the way I do not intentionally leave out Airports, that may be an added bonus, as I said both are about the same distance from my house.

As for the grass strip I mow the acreage anyway with a brush hog and a Massey 50 I rebuilt. Concrete is not all there is, I will most likely use asphalt if and when I pave the "runway" but I like the Idea of having a 2500X 400 foot landing area (you know for those pesky crosswinds).

Anyhoo, back to the original question, anyone have any other "utes" they believe I should look at for my purposes?

Man, I am afraid to bring up anything about engines! It may become a full on RIOT!

Thanks;
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Even in a Cessna 172, I don't consider anything under 3,000 feet except as an emergency strip...
    I used to rent C-172's from an FBO and an airport with less than 2000'! The standard joke (but it wasn't a joke) was the pilots who learned to fly at the nearby towered field with long runways came to visit at our field and ran off the end of the runway...

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    When you have plenty of 3,000+ hard surface runways around and zero trouble getting clearance to land on the 12,000+ foot runway nearby, why would you need to go looking for a grass strip that is likely a lot rougher than the well maintained (by someone else) hard surface runway...
    Because it's fun. And you'll likely find more interesting airplanes (and more interesting pilots!) based there...

Ah.....see the grass strips around this area tend to be almost abandoned 99% of the time.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I think every pilot dreams of the convenience of his own strip. Having your fellow pilots fly in for a cool drink and some lies sounds great. The secret is a big bat-wing mower or a teenage son who wants to use the car. Best of luck!

a teenage son who wants to use the car
    No such luck here. I'd prefer to spend the money associated with raising a kid on more toys for Kat and myself.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 02-25-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

How about an RV-12? It has easily removable wings and should have no problem with a 2500' field.

"Man, I am afraid to bring up anything about engines! It may become a full on RIOT!"

LOL...too late; check the engine thread underway in the forum.

But this is the weird part of the Internet where our fights are downright polite!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.