First I should say Hello, New into the world of EAA and homebuilt aircraft, but not without skills!

Background: I am a current private pilot with 380+ hours in a few different aircraft and owned a Cessna 175 Skylark. Most of my flying time was "cross country" from X51 (homestead Florida) to PKB (parkersburg WV.) I have, under supervision, with a great A&P, done about everything that could be done to an aircraft (my skylark) including rebuilding my GO-300-C. I have tools and a lot of knowledge of Certified aircraft. I was going to get my A&P as I have repair experience, but alas, life events prevented me doing so. Sold the 175 about 2 or 3 years ago and dropped out of flying, mostly because of the radpid increase in expense and my retirement (rapid decrease of income) and relocating from Florida to West Virginia. (I know that sounds nuts, most people retire and move TO florida, well I am different that way. Anyway lots of stories here but not in this venue, and hopefully plenty of time later to expand.

Now that is out of the way I can say why I am getting into the EAA, First I was a member a long time ago and building my own aircraft was always a dream of mine. I happen to own a rather large piece of land with a "pasture" large enough to put a 2500' runway on to it. And I am interested in an aircraft that meets the LSA rules but expandable in the future to a Higher gross weight with 2 seats, my wife is unable to fly with me anymore due to her disability, but my Son will travel occasionally.

I have been looking for the right aircraft to build and have seriously looked at the Zenith CH-750 and the Kitfox S7. I like these two for their "trailerability" and STOL capabilities. However I am still open to other types aircraft, I do not want a "pre-built" of finished aircraft, and the cost should be between 35 and 50 thousand dollars including an engine of 100 to 120 hp. (yeah I like power) with a cruise of 90 to 115 Knts.

So there it is, the leap into Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft. Oh and if I want speed I could buy a Mooney or a factory built Aircraft. But I want to build this thing myself (from a kit under the "51%" rule) But have the ability to expand later to higher gross and land at unimproved fields to fish and hunt (no Amphians, I can add floats later).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Mike.