Thread: New to EAA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to EAA

First I should say Hello, New into the world of EAA and homebuilt aircraft, but not without skills!

Background: I am a current private pilot with 380+ hours in a few different aircraft and owned a Cessna 175 Skylark. Most of my flying time was "cross country" from X51 (homestead Florida) to PKB (parkersburg WV.) I have, under supervision, with a great A&P, done about everything that could be done to an aircraft (my skylark) including rebuilding my GO-300-C. I have tools and a lot of knowledge of Certified aircraft. I was going to get my A&P as I have repair experience, but alas, life events prevented me doing so. Sold the 175 about 2 or 3 years ago and dropped out of flying, mostly because of the radpid increase in expense and my retirement (rapid decrease of income) and relocating from Florida to West Virginia. (I know that sounds nuts, most people retire and move TO florida, well I am different that way. Anyway lots of stories here but not in this venue, and hopefully plenty of time later to expand.

Now that is out of the way I can say why I am getting into the EAA, First I was a member a long time ago and building my own aircraft was always a dream of mine. I happen to own a rather large piece of land with a "pasture" large enough to put a 2500' runway on to it. And I am interested in an aircraft that meets the LSA rules but expandable in the future to a Higher gross weight with 2 seats, my wife is unable to fly with me anymore due to her disability, but my Son will travel occasionally.

I have been looking for the right aircraft to build and have seriously looked at the Zenith CH-750 and the Kitfox S7. I like these two for their "trailerability" and STOL capabilities. However I am still open to other types aircraft, I do not want a "pre-built" of finished aircraft, and the cost should be between 35 and 50 thousand dollars including an engine of 100 to 120 hp. (yeah I like power) with a cruise of 90 to 115 Knts.

So there it is, the leap into Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft. Oh and if I want speed I could buy a Mooney or a factory built Aircraft. But I want to build this thing myself (from a kit under the "51%" rule) But have the ability to expand later to higher gross and land at unimproved fields to fish and hunt (no Amphians, I can add floats later).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Mike.

Based on the planes you mentioned you might want to consider the Just Highlander or the RANS S-7S. They are not trailerable, but would otherwise seem to meet your requirements. The trailerable feature is one that has a lot of initial appeal but is actually used by very few people, so I wouldn't place too much value on it unless you have a very specific set of needs that demands it.

Another possibility is a GlaStar (which is trailerable). The kit is no longer in general production but there are uncompleted kits out there in the $25K range that could be completed for around $50K. It is a much more capable airplane than the 100 hp 2-seaters.

Good luck with your search.

Dave Prizio

Thanks Dave! the reason I am looking for a folding wing design is to use my farm pasture. As of now there are no buildings but it has a good road, and is level and "pothole" free. Later I intend to put a house there and a barn and a hangar (wife does not know about the hangar yet). Our local airport (PKB) tie down and hanagar fees are more than I want to pay and both are about the same difference in distance from my house. I currently have a new 24X36 garage with a 9X20 lathe, 7hp aircompressor and numerous aircraft and auto tools, and blast cabinets and pipe benders, welders (both oxy/ace and wire feed) so building space and tools are not a problem. Of course I would love to build a 1/2 scale F4UD corsair but that injection molding for composites thing has me baffled. so I will stick to tube and cloth or metal.

Thanks for the reply!
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gently56 View Post
    ...Of course I would love to build a 1/2 scale F4UD corsair but that injection molding for composites thing has me baffled. so I will stick to tube and cloth or metal.
    Have you looked at the "War Aircraft Replicas" planes? They have a Corsair, which I believe is essentially a plywood box covered with foam, carved to shape and glassed over.

I happen to own a rather large piece of land with a "pasture" large enough to put a 2500' runway on to it.
    Hmmmm.....2500' x 50' x 18" (which is pretty thin, not to mention really short) = 187,500 cubic feet of concrete. Looking at $530,000 just for the concrete....this will be why I'll never have my own runway unless I hit the lottery.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Steve, we're authorized to land on grass!

That's a really, really long runway for a light aircraft.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

How about an RV-12? It has easily removable wings and should have no problem with a 2500' field.

"Man, I am afraid to bring up anything about engines! It may become a full on RIOT!"

LOL...too late; check the engine thread underway in the forum.

But this is the weird part of the Internet where our fights are downright polite!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.