Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring Motor Gliders / self launch gliders

Touring Motor Gliders / self launch gliders

I have been looking for plans, unfinished kit or run out damaged motor glider, self launch glider. Does anyone know of any?

Keep your eye on Barnstormers...that'll be your best bet for finding one in that state. Otherwise, Sonex and Europa sell kits.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Tim,
    one of the biggest markets for sailplanes and powered gliders is the German market. You may find on www.segelflug.de lots of offers. There will be no plans, but there might be the opportunity for a good restauration project.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking in Barnstormers and Wings and Wheels. Finding that Fournier or something similar in the rebuild or good for patterns only condition is going to take awhile.

Thanks for the reply. That looks like a good lead.

Tim: check out http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want-ads10.htm

Holger, a Moni motorglider driver

Touring Motorglider Design Ideas

I've been following most of the leads mentioned ( WnW page 10, Barnstormers, several Euro/international posting sites) for a while, and you will find flyable a/c and maybe a few projects. I've seen one Europa in the past 2 years (a sketchy project - nearly complete, but with absolutely no usable homebuilt documentation), and a few very expensive restoration projects. I'd like a 2 seater, but I'm not impressed with the Xenos design. I've about decided to put together something on my own, with a result (hopefully) something like a metal Taifun with fixed gear, or a tri-gear Brasov. Anyone on this forum got some ideas on where to start on a design? I like the cockpit configuration of the later model Ercoupe (sliding canopy, side-by-side seating), but the Ercoupe tail needs to be lengthened about 5' to provide proper tail volume for an 18-20 meter wing span. With all the FAA 51% rule changes, can I use an existing cockpit section from a certificated a/c, change the tail, and design/build new wings, design/build a new engine/cowl installation, and meet the 51% requirement for a homebuilt? This would be my first design from scratch project (at least in 1:1 scale, lots of RC a/c design experience), so any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by normancanderson View Post
    I've been following most of the leads mentioned ( WnW page 10, Barnstormers, several Euro/international posting sites) for a while, and you will find flyable a/c and maybe a few projects. I've seen one Europa in the past 2 years (a sketchy project - nearly complete, but with absolutely no usable homebuilt documentation), and a few very expensive restoration projects. I'd like a 2 seater, but I'm not impressed with the Xenos design. I've about decided to put together something on my own, with a result (hopefully) something like a metal Taifun with fixed gear, or a tri-gear Brasov. Anyone on this forum got some ideas on where to start on a design? I like the cockpit configuration of the later model Ercoupe (sliding canopy, side-by-side seating), but the Ercoupe tail needs to be lengthened about 5' to provide proper tail volume for an 18-20 meter wing span. With all the FAA 51% rule changes, can I use an existing cockpit section from a certificated a/c, change the tail, and design/build new wings, design/build a new engine/cowl installation, and meet the 51% requirement for a homebuilt? This would be my first design from scratch project (at least in 1:1 scale, lots of RC a/c design experience), so any advice is appreciated.
    Yes, there aren't many touring motorgliders out there. Just not many of us that want one, I guess. A 18-20m wing span scratch build is a HUGE undertaking. Years of planning, calculations, drawings, consultations, and more years of building, throwing away, starting over, building some more. Yes, you can use parts of a scrapped, certified airframe. It's up to the local inspector how much of your plane they can make up. Generally, it's not well liked, and for good reasons. Sorry if I sound discouraging. If you were thinking about a single seat motorglider I would actually be interested. There is no kit or plan on the market (that I know of), and I'm dreaming of an updated version of my beloved Moni. A single seat takes way less $$ and time to build.

Holger

Motorglider Homebuilt

There is one homebuilt out there that is called a motorglider that wouldn't cost a fortune to build, the KR 1B. There have been a few of these built, but all as single engine experimentals. I have a set of plans for this aircraft. The problem is that the wing needs to go from a 27 ft span to 35-36 ft to make JAR 22. The tail needs to be longer as well. These plans are still offered on the KR web sites. My problem is that I'm not sure how to proceed. I fall into the sport pilot catch 22. I might be able to get that third class but it could cost me most of the price of a 1 26 or this homebuilt. I've contacted some of the people offering design help with indifferent results, I'm on a beer budget and most of these guys seem to be looking for larger dollar clients; which is what I'd be looking for if I were them. New ideas sugestions are what I'm looking for. I have followed up on the sugestions from this thread with mixed results.

Tim

Thanks for pointing out the KR-1B, Tim. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you're not required to comply with JAR22 to register a power assisted, experimental glider in the US. There are even Challengers registered as motorgliders.

Holger