Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maupin Woodstock

The picture on Wikipedia is the Woodstock that Bob Wander built, now owned by Matt Michael, who taught me to fly gliders. Its an absolutely beautiful piece of art and a really nice sailplane too. I've done a few cross countries with Matt side by side in my homebuilt Cherokee II. https://picasaweb.google.com/cheroke...OctoberSoaring

Carbon fiber leading edges would be interesting to investigate. I've done some preliminary investigation into what it would take to do the same on a Cherokee II. It will definitely be more expensive than plywood but would have the potential to look a lot cooler. Also, Dick Butler is using a super lightweight sticky-back plastic covering for the control surfaces on Concordia called Solar-Trim which would be interesting to investigate. See more here: http://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/conco...photo-a-day/#1. The guy, Chris, who is helping DB with the covering and other stuff, posts on RC Groups. I'm guessing that it is not robust enough to cover large open panels like between rib bays on full size aircraft but with the light wing loading of the Woodstock it might be worth investigating further, you never know. There are probably some large R/C gliders/planes that approach the same wing loading. God knows there are R/C gliders that have the same span!

I'll look up Solar-Trim and ask one of the guys at my EAA who is a big into RC (has his own airfield for RC that gets light A/C trying to land there!).

I am curious to hear from Woodstock flyers what they know about the durability of the spar/wing. According to NTSB, I see 2 fatals involving the Woodstock and they were caused by wing failure. One appears to be someone doing aggressive aerobatics and tossing out the spoilers at high speed and the other appears to be a guy without O2 flying at 16,500' around lenticulars.

Wondering if there are any opinions on the Woodstock spar and any ideas on beefing it up with some newer technology (carbon fiber, kevlar, fiberglass?)

I think you just answered your question about the durability of the spar/wing. The two failures you noted were way outside the flight envelope. This design has been successfully load tested.

I have plans, need a builders handbook, can anyone help? Chris

I am the guy who decided to use SolarTrim on Concordia. I would not recommend for anything other that solid composite surfaces.

However, you should really look at ORACOVER from Germany. Oracover ORATEX has Ultralight approval and is also being used on the Solar Challenger. It is very light and easy to apply.

http://www.oracover.de/index.php/kat..._aviation.html

Chris

I'd like to build a woodstock. Looking for a "standard" builders manual or a 13m set of plans. Compensation expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero104 View Post
    I am the guy who decided to use SolarTrim on Concordia. I would not recommend for anything other that solid composite surfaces.

However, you should really look at ORACOVER from Germany. Oracover ORATEX has Ultralight approval and is also being used on the Solar Challenger. It is very light and easy to apply.

http://www.oracover.de/index.php/kat..._aviation.html

Chris
    They have a website now: http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/ and are working on USA approvals.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

There is a new covering material called Oratex, which is reported to be much lighter and faster (and less expensive) than even the Stewart System. It is based on the long-proven model airplane covering materials.

The ESA Experimental Soaring Association will surely be the best clearinghouse. Most of the Woodstock builders and flyers are members there. Our EAA Chapter member Murry Rozansky is the ESA president. Very mild aero cleanup, some cheap control seals, a few upgrades, and the long wingtip upgrade will yield a 26 or 27 to 1 glider that is capable of staying up in very light air. Definite high bang for the buck!

I believe a fellow named Gary Osoba has done some incredible flights in a Woodstock. In decent weather it would be a 500KM capable ship.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com