Thread: Buying a wrecked experimental

Buying a wrecked experimental

I'm considering buying a used experimental aircraft that had an accident on the ground causing enough damage to make it no longer flyable. The reason I am considering this is because I have built the same plane from scratch and believe the repairs are within my ability. I am looking for advice on what kind of issues I might run into getting the aircraft legally flying again. Is it as simple as doccumenting the repairs and then getting an A&P to sign off a conditional inspection once I'm done? Do I need to get a DAR involved and go through the 40 hour fly-off again? At least one wing will need to be built to replace a damaged one so there will be significant structural work to the airframe possilby putting it back into phase 1? I tried searching the net and haven't come up with links to many other people doing this. I'm open to any advice people here can provide.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, provided all the paperwork is in order, all you need to do is repair the airplane, make sure it has a current annual condition inspection and go fly. I am assuming the owner didn't destroy or surrender the special a/w certificate / operating limitations, etc.

There is no requirement to document the repairs, although it would be nice for you and the next owner(s) to have records. There is nothing that requires you do another test period. I am assuming of course you are not going to make any major changes during course of repair.

I think you'll find that with a major repair, much like a major modification, the local FSDO may want to know about it. They typically do not require a re-inspection, although I have seen that happen once with major modifications to the aircraft, but these modifications included changes in gross weight of the aircraft and major structural changes. Usually, they will assign you something on the order of a 5 hour phase 1 fly off again. The best way to clarify the issue is to call your local FSDO office and ask what they would like. They usually make this pretty painless for you and it is very unlikely to cost you anything more than a phone call. If you give them a call, please leave some feedback on the forum to let us all know what your local FSDO says.

-CubBuilder