Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maupin Woodstock

Maupin Woodstock

I am getting ahold of some Woodstock plans for the 13m version. Does anyone have any additional helpful info such as the build notes or your own documentation/photos? I'll pay for copies and the postage!

Furthermore, other than the efforts to lighten the Duster and get rid of its fixed wing center and the change in airfoil, what did Maupin do to the Duster? Any change in its spar?

Regards
    Wade

jlantzok

I have a set of drawings and a file on the little guy somewhere. I don't remember the spar arrangement, but I'll dig the stuff out in a week, or so. Perhaps I can forward it to you. Irv Culver performed some of the first check flights and wrote them up for Soaring, and I'm fairly sure I've got that, and other goodies, in the file. I will be out of pocket for a little over a week, but if this thread is still up, I'll update you then. This is my first attempt to respond to a forum, so I hope I have done so appropriately.

Esa

Dear Wade:

The Experimental Soaring Association (nee' Sailplane Homebuilder's Association) is the best clearing house for info on this type. I do not know if anyone has flown a 13m version yet. It has a carbon-fiber spar.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding the Duster. Different animal entirely.

Yea I think Maupin worked at DSK Aviation building Duster kits for a while and from the shape of the fuselage etc. drew his inspiration for the Woodstock as a lightweight Duster but I don't know of any similarities beyond that.

Wade: I have plans for the 12 and 13 m Woodstock along with much info found on the net thru the years. Have not started to build yet just in the gathering info mode now. Also have digitized the build manual as well as other info that is in digital form. Can share it. Soaring mag had a story about the Woodstock, have a copy of it also.

Cool to see a Woodstock thread here at EAA. I have a 12M almost ready to cover (on hold for winter - no heat in hanger). Thinking of alternatives for covering it. Any ideas? I would like to get 13M planes. Seen photos on the web (13M) but none are inflight shots. Some folks in New Zealand have done some mods to the original plans but I'm not sure of the performance results.

what do you mean alternatives for covering? I used Stewart Systems on my Cherokee II the year before last and was very happy with the process, will use it again on anything else I cover.

I had no idea what a Maupin Woodstock was, so I Googled it. For the benefit of the rest of the readers who are curious - a photo from Wikipedia:
    Name:  300px-WoodstockGlider.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  18.7 KB

I'm a newly certificated glider pilot, 30 Jan. 2012. I have been interested in Woodstock off and on since the Feb. 1981 Sport Aviation article with pictures and info. by Jim Maupin. Jan. 2012 Sailplane Builder: www.esoaring.com has a large paragraph and picture of Jerry Gross' 13m Woodstock. Jan. 1980 Soaring has "A Design Critique Woodstock I" by Stan Hall. Both Sport Aviation and Soaring offer info. on the design, construction, and flight characteristics. Bob Wander, I believe, built one and spoke favorably of it's flight characteristics in a posting at Google groups rec.aviation.soaring 8 April, 2008. I'm very interested in building a Woodstock, if I can find plans.

Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
    what do you mean alternatives for covering? I used Stewart Systems on my Cherokee II the year before last and was very happy with the process, will use it again on anything else I cover.
    Alternatives as in going carbon fiber, extending the plywood thinner to the trailing edge or hi-tech plastic shrink wrap. I am thinking of alternatives to the the aircraft standards because it's experimental. My folks at my local EAA chapter build lots of metal, fiberglass and composts.