Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying and Fishing?

Flying and Fishing?

Hey All, just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone ever flys themselves to lakes or anywhere of the like to do some sort of outdoor activity, maybe hunting or (ice-)fishing, or even camping, rock climbing and other fun stuff? It seems like it would be something cool to do someday so I just figured I'd ask. Thanks

My little plane flies about slow enough to troll; but, we just camp under the wing!

A friend and I were recently talking about flying down to Hatteras this summer and camping and fishing on the beach for a weekend. There is a campground about 200 feet from the airport.

Well, I want to take the 182 to go fishing, I have a couple friends with cabins in WI, but with the fuel prices, it is way cheaper to just ride up there with them - but I can't afford to take that many days off work, so I don't, and if I could fly up I could fish for a couple days on the weekend, but I cant afford 6 hours rental for a couple pounds of fish,...

One of the best places to go fishing is Gaston's Resort in Northern Arkansas (3M0). Jim Gaston is a pilot and always extends his hospitality to the guest aviators. I like to go at least once a year for a relaxing weekend. A splendid time is had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerome View Post
    One of the best places to go fishing is Gaston's Resort in Northern Arkansas (3M0). Jim Gaston is a pilot and always extends his hospitality to the guest aviators. I like to go at least once a year for a relaxing weekend. A splendid time is had by all.
    I wonder if he'd pick us up at one of the airports (KBPK (4 miles E with a 5000' runway) or KFLP (4 miles SW with a 5000' runway) down the road a ways. Not to mention that fuel at KFLP is a LOT cheaper.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerome View Post
    I have wanted to visit Gaston's for some time now, I have heard a lot of good things about it. Hopefully this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I wonder if he'd pick us up at one of the airports (KBPK (4 miles E with a 5000' runway) or KFLP (4 miles SW with a 5000' runway) down the road a ways. Not to mention that fuel at KFLP is a LOT cheaper.
    Gastons will pick you up at BPK or FLP. I'm based at Flippin and we see the Gaston's van picking up or dropping off pilots routinely.

Speaking of cheap gas... Still $4.88 We just finished installing our self serve pumps. There is still ramp work going on but we left enough asphalt to enable an easy taxi to the pumps.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I was wondering when the improvements (I read about them on AirNav) would be finished.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I've flown to Canada fishing twice, remote lodges with a gravel strip. Then there was my trip up the Al-Can Hwy to AK, fishing there too. I also like to scout around from the air, hunting & fishing spots. It's just a great view & nice way to get the bird's eye orientation.