Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: f-16 fog

f-16 fog

yeah sure ,, fog in the cockpit
    landing long and fast didnt help either!!

Can you handle the truth?

Sometimes the truth isn't as sinister as some would like. Sometimes machine malfunction. A lot have people have become so jaded that they believe everytime the government speaks, it must be hiding something.
    I kinda miss the days we generally trusted large institutions.

Out of the thousands of F-16s that have been built, which and what incident does this thread relate to? It's a phantasmagoria as it now stands.
    Bill

I believe he's referring to the story stating that the USAF released the accident report of the F-16 that ran off the end of the rwy at AirVenture in 2011. The windshield fogged over, according to the official report.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Was thinking that same thing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlb67 View Post
    yeah sure ,, fog in the cockpit
    landing long and fast didnt help either!!

Banned
    By chance, I was on the grass close to the intersection where he ran off the end. As it rolled by on the runway I knew he was too fast to stop before the pavement ended and I could clearly see the pilot through the cockpit glass. So if I could see him, he could see clearly out as well. I didn't see where he touched down so don't know if he landed long but he was surely landing hot. Fog??!!, I don't think so. The only fog that's apparent is in the minds and judgement of the USAF investigators who came up with this wacky conclusion.

So...is "fog" also the likely reason for the vintage jet(a variant of the F-86 I believe) that ran of the end of the very same runway the very next day?

Guess the airshow boss will have to start issuing fog advisories during the pre-show briefing.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I am a LtC. with the USAFR. The crazy thing about this report is usually Accident Investigation Boards usually come up with the right cause and contributory factors. I don't get this one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I believe he's referring to the story stating that the USAF released the accident report of the F-16 that ran off the end of the rwy at AirVenture in 2011. The windshield fogged over, according to the official report.
    Apparently made the brake pedals slippery, too.... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Its not unusual to get a lot of fog in the cockpit when the environmental control system (ECS) fails. I've had it happen to me. Also, fog typically only lasts a short period of time and disappears with extreme rapidity when the conditions change.
    Bill