Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine choice

You can't just throw out a question without knowing the sensitivity of the particular plane to engine weight and CG effect. If you choose a heavier engine than the plane was designed for, flying qualities will be altered. So I'd analyze the engine weight the designer intended and then be in better logical shape to make comparisons. If most of the engines you listed are too heavy, the question may be already decided. I fly with a 912 and weighed it on a scale complete with everything required to fly, from mufflers to oil tank to radiators at 146 lbs total. It makes 100 hp at 4gph mogas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    I fly with a 912 ...makes 100 hp at 4gph mogas.
    uh, not quite. it makes 100 hp at 7.1gph mogas. burning 4gph it's making about 52 or 53 hp. check pages 5-5 and 5-6 of the rotax 912 operator's manual. rotax-aircraft-engines.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d04997.pdf

resale

The main issue is really one of resale. Even though the 4 stroke Rotax has proved itself not everyone feels comfortable purchasing an aircraft that has one. Conversely, even those folks that prefer Rotax would not be put off by a continental. If you examine the LSA market where this mostly applies, its demographic is older pilots wanting to avoid the endless medical hassle. These are the more stubborn folks that would be more apt to shy away from Rotax