Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine choice

Engine choice

when the kit requires a 100 horse power engine would you rather a Rotec, or a 0-200? /IO-240?

Sell ability is the issue.

what airframe? some times those radials just look like they belong
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Tom,I would think 0-200. Cost, available engine parts, prop availability,maintenance availability. Looks would go to the Radial!Dave

Rotec or Rotax? Rotax 912ULS is in the same class as the O-200/IO-240. Rotec is a different animal. She's a radial.

Rotax
    http://www.flyrotax.com/engines/product-range/carburator/912-100hp/description.aspx

R
    otec
    http://www.rotecradialengines.com/0RotecR2800/R2800.htm

T
    hat being said, I don't think you could go wrong with either. You'll probably find a better selection of O-200s on the used market, though, and at a better price point.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

The up-front cost of buying a new engine may favor the Rotax 912ULS slightly, but the O-200 has a huge "installed base" so a used low-time O-200 would probably be considerably cheaper to acquire. The I/O-240 maybe a bit more then 100 hp, it's operating cost should be a bit lower since it is a FEDAC engine, also a bit more reliable. The Rotax has FEDAC qualities and has been around along time, Van has enough faith in it to put it into his RV-12, in my opinion that is more than enough to recommend it. I have seen the Rotec R-2800 and it would be a great choice in some of the simple designs like the Pober Ace or Bakeng Duce. Whatever you choose you'll have a good engine.

Joe

We were considering the ROTAX 912, but that radial is a sweetie.

what do you consider the resale factors on the radial would be?

100 HP egines

If weight is a consideration the Rotax 912 is by far the best bet. Its installed weight is a good 30 pounds or more less than even the lightweight Continental O-200-D. I have heard of complete FWF weights in the 170 pound range for this engine.

The Continental O-200-A is a bit heavy but has the advantage of being plentiful and easily available as a used engine. The new O-200-D is pretty light at about 200 pounds but it is only going to be available as new.

The Cont. IO-240 has not been very popular in kit planes because of the extra weight and complexity.

The Lycoming O-235 is another option, but it is sort of a boat anchor weight-wise. A new possibility is the Lycoming O-233-LSA, which makes 118 HP and only weighs about 210 pounds.

Another lightweight choice (about 15 pounds more than the Rotax 912) is the Jabiru 3300, which makes 120 HP, but it is harder to set up and more of a maintenance hog than the other engines. Lastly the Rotec radial is very nostalgic looking but obviously produces a lot of drag. It has its place but not on every plane.

Lots of choices.

Dave Prizio

Tom,
    What aircraft kit are you building or planning to build? What does the kit manufacturer recommend, and how many have already been built and are flying? The 100 HP recommendation in something Cub-like, say a Kit Fox would favor the 912. Are you going for an E-LSA, or are you open to a higher gross take-off weight?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    when the kit requires a 100 horse power engine would you rather a Rotec, or a 0-200? /IO-240?

Sell ability is the issue.
    O-200, no contest. Look at the TBO, ADs and SBs for the Rotax. There's a reason most Rotax owners are first time buyers. If Diamond didn't switch to the IO-240 in the DA-20 they'd be out of business by now. Most pilots aren't used to / don't like high revving, buzzy engines.

The Jabiru looks good on paper, if you can ignore the occasional catastrophic failures.

I've had my 912 seven years and couldn't be happier with it!