Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
Unless you can pass the military pilot physical exams and other tests (such as a stress echo), you really can't say you have that good of cardio for high G, etc. There are a lot of people whose first indication of severe cardiac problems that have likely existed for some time is a collapse and sudden death. I enjoy unusual attitudes too but there's a big difference between a few loops and spins and trying to sustain consciousness in a 7-9 g turn. The best advice I can offer- and this was given to me by a famous test pilot- was to always remember that the "squishy mass in the pilot's seat" is the weakest link in any aircraft. Just because an aircraft is tested to withstand aerobatic category maneuvers does not mean it's a good idea for the average Joe Q. Pilot to try to push that aircraft anywhere near those limits.
I don't think he's looking to fly military fighters. Nobody sustains 7-9G in any piston plane, aerobatics or not. The Unlimited monoplanes might pull G is this range, but it'll only last about 1 second. There's no need to pull more than about 4.5G at the Sportsman level. And even at that, the G is experienced for very short amounts of time. You really don't have to be in great shape to fly aerobatics, or even competition acro. If you came to a contest you might be surprised that many guys have the same beer guts that non-acro guys have. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
Then I would recommend against the RV series. They are good for basic stuff but I wouldn't want to try to pretend to be Maverick and Goose in one.
I would recommend an RV. They are designed and stressed for aerobatics (+6/-3G) just like any other aerobatic airplane. My Pitts has the same stress limits. They are perfectly suitable for flying Primary and Sportsman level competition acro. Any airplane has its limitations. You would not subject an RV to the same stress and certain maneuvers that are possible in the carbon fiber monoplanes, but neither would you most other aerobatic airplanes that are not carbon monoplanes. I flew aerobatics for 5 years in an RV, and did all the aerobatics you can do in an airplane without inverted systems. Great airplane.