Thread: Spam spam spam!!!

Spam spam spam!!!

There seems to be more and more spam getting through on this forum. We need a 'report spam' button....and the Mods need to delete accounts that post this garbage!

See post below: There was also a link to a website selling these...Nothing to do with Aviation, it was in the EAA chapters forum! Mods get your act together before this forum is taken over by these spammers!!!!!!!!!!
    Re:International Calling Cards

International Calling Cards Many people worldwide pay too much for making international calls. You can make cheaper calls when you use international calling cards. With a prepaid international calling card it's easy to stay in touch with friends, family and business associates around the world at very competitive prices. International calling cards are easy to use - and they can save you a lot of money if you make frequent calls overseas.
    But buying the right calling card is much more confusing than it should be. That's because:

• Calling card pricing is ridiculously complicated
    • Calling card companies use sketchy marketing techniques

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Mad Dog -

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Just so you're aware, every post has a "report" button - it's the icon on the left side below the profile picture that looks like a triangle with an exclamation point in it. Users like Matt G. and Dana know this one well, and my ongoing thanks to them for using it to make extra sure we see any offending messages right away.

That being said, the only time I go more than about 2 hours at the very most without checking for spam on these boards is when I'm asleep. This morning, there were two messages that had been posted, and they were up for about 5 hours before I woke up and dealt with them. When I find an offending post, I delete it, remove the user, ban them permanently, and then ban their IP address.

Nobody hates this stuff more than me, believe me. In a perfect world, you'd never see a single one. In the real world, we do what we can to prevent them, and act as quickly as possible when one or two pop up.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Compared to some other forums that I'm on, this forum has a relatively modest amount of spam (although any is too much) and what gets through is expurgated quite rapidly. I think Hal does a good job of controlling it.

To improve response further, you'd have to have Hal wired up when he sleeps so that he's jolted awake by an electric shock when somebody hits the "report post" icon. The voltage could even be arranged to be proportional to the number of irate members reporting the post.
    Bill

Thanks, Bill! For the first part, anyway...

As for the wiring, apparently, it might make me smarter:

http://gizmodo.com/5882754/how-to-electrify-your-brain-to-be-smarter-with-a-9+volt-battery

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

What is spam, really? Isn't it what they serve for lunch at ye olde Enumclaw High School?
    If it's good enough for them, who are we to complain?

Really this EAA site is pretty good, I used to write on another aviation site, where there was the worst thing of all, that of possibly having to read something written by someone that might have another opinion to that which we so firmly cling to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Really this EAA site is pretty good, I used to write on another aviation site, where there was the worst thing of all, that of possibly having to read something written by someone that might have another opinion to that which we so firmly cling to.
    Bill, I have to disagree.

(You knew I had to do that!! )

Hal, you're doing a great job. BTW, I suggest high voltage, low amperage jolts. Gets your attention without all of the deleterious effects.
    Last edited by Bob Meder; 02-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    What is spam, really? Isn't it what they serve for lunch at ye olde Enumclaw High School?
    If it's good enough for them, who are we to complain?
    I only wish that they'd served Spam... The one dish I remember (and have tried for 30 years to forget) was something called "Scandinavian Tuna Wiggle."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meder View Post
    Hal, you're doing a great job. BTW, I suggest high voltage, low amperage jolts. Gets your attention without all of the deleterious effects.
    High voltage and even higher amperage - got it. Wait, what?!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I only wish that they'd served Spam... The one dish I remember (and have tried for 30 years to forget) was something called "Scandinavian Tuna Wiggle."

High voltage and even higher amperage - got it. Wait, what?!
    Hey Hal, if you take a trip to the Thomas A Edison Technical Center in Franksville, WI, not far from you, you can get all the high voltage that you want. When I worked there, they were serving up to 1,000 kV.

If "Scandinavian Tuna Wiggle" didn't appeal to you, instead try Lutefisk, available at almost all Lutheran churches and Sons of Norway lodges just before Christmas.
    Bill

That being said, the only time I go more than about 2 hours at the very most without checking for spam on these boards is when I'm asleep.
    Hal, you mean your wife and EAA allow you to sleep??
    This morning, there were two messages that had been posted, and they were up for about 5 hours before I woke up and dealt with them. When I find an offending post, I delete it, remove the user, ban them permanently, and then ban their IP address.
    Belt, suspenders, safety pins, AND duct tape! I like it!

Nobody hates this stuff more than me, believe me. In a perfect world, you'd never see a single one. In the real world, we do what we can to prevent them, and act as quickly as possible when one or two pop up.

Thanks -

Hal
    Hal, you do an awesome job. This is one of the best run "public" boards I've seen.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Many, many thanks, Jim - I couldn't accomplish anything without a lot of help from some great coworkers, and especially without all the people who contribute to the forum and those with sharp eyes and a finger on the report button!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor