Thread: Afford-A-Plane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Afford-A-Plane

Hey there. I am building an affordaplane and just wondering if anyone has or knows people that are familiar with this plane? I am already a member of the yahoo group devoted to the plane but thought Id ask in here if there was anyone with knowledge of it. Any ultralight flyers in North central Florida area? Looking for more but the local chapter mostly is GA from what I gathered.

JJ

There's several threads on this over in this forum: www.homebuiltairplanes.com

The affordaplane sure has it's charm , but I would prefer in the same layout a affordacub!Bst RgdsErkki

For such an inexpensive plane, there doesn't seem to be a large number of flying examples for something available for several years.

It also builds up very heavy. Like 100lbs heavy. :-/ I'm only aware of one example being built to plans, and that plane "required" 50hp to fly well. It seems good ultralights can fly well on 28. I ended up collecting a lot of information on the plane. ... and upsetting most of the community. But that's another, long, story.

http://theaffordaplaneresource.blogspot.com/

Interesting comment, Nerobro. I've owned a set of Affordaplane plans for several years but never got started, mostly because my garage is an inferno much of the year. I'll be sure to do some research on this issue if I ever decide to go ahead with the project. Thanks for the tip!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Angry The Affordaplane is NOT an ultralight.

I have the same information. The owner/moderator of the Affordaplane Yahoo group (who is the #1 supporter of this design) states flat out that the BEST you can manage is about 350 pounds (100 pounds over FAR 103)

The Affordaplane is NOT an ultralight despite the lies on their website.

Gary in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
    It also builds up very heavy. Like 100lbs heavy. :-/ I'm only aware of one example being built to plans, and that plane "required" 50hp to fly well. It seems good ultralights can fly well on 28. I ended up collecting a lot of information on the plane. ... and upsetting most of the community. But that's another, long, story.

http://theaffordaplaneresource.blogspot.com/