Thread: Oskosh Report: Tragic crash

Oskosh Report: Tragic crash

There was a tragic crash that mars an otherwise good start to the Oskosh Airventure week. About noon on Sun, with fair skys a Piper Cub crashed into the lake just off shore and it was fatal to the man and lady on board,despite a quick attempt by boaters nearby to help. I don't know anything about the cause.
    To me, the most important thing about the week is that it be safe, and with this many planes and people it sometimes is not. I hope the rest of the week and all the flights home are good.

Does anyone know anything more about this crash? Was it a seaplane?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFast View Post
    Does anyone know anything more about this crash? Was it a seaplane?
    Based on the photo in this article, I'd so no.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/...=2011107260441
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Some scuttlebutt reports maneuvering low to the water prior to the crash.

Not a seaplane, looks like a standard J3 Cub. Still no cause of the accident known as of today.

I saw the wreckage... it looked to me like the prop was definitely turning when they hit the water, it was splintered badly.

I also heard that he was "Hot Dogging" it low to the water. There are no old, bold pilots.

I helped with the recovery of the aircraft. The engine was definitely making power when it hit. According to people who were friends of the pilot, he was giving rides to friends and had been doing wing-overs and just didn't have enough altitude. I'm told altitude is difficult to judge over water.

Even if the engine was not making power, the prop would probably be turning and might splinter, I am not sure that is the measure of the crash.
    When someone does a ride, they should use extra care to make sure it is safe for the passenger. I hope this really was just an accident, and not the result of something foolish, especially if the 2nd person was not a pilot.

NTSB says loss of control while maneuvering low to the water was the reason.http://www.wisn.com/news/28973552/detail.html