Thread: corvair converters wanted--people

corvair converters wanted--people

Hi Folks !!
    After several years of admiring these, it looks like I'm going to get started.... I'd like to know what others have experienced converting these engines...I'm in Maine and for the most part these have rotted away..The ones that have been found are pre'63....But there is some to work with.....Interested in your comments....Hope you have a good one...Randy

Not an expert on the subject, but I am in the process of converting a 1966-110 engine for use in my Pietenpol.

I'm sure you are probably aware, but just in case, there is a lot of information at www.flycorvair.com

William Wynne is also on Facebook, where he has posted several good articles that pertain to the Corvair engine and various components. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you purchase William's conversion manual and read it thoroughly... the DVD's are an excellent companion. Not only will you have a better idea what to look for, you will also know what to "look out" for when considering a core engine, and you'll also have a better understanding of the conversion process... what is required and why.

For anyone interested, Corvair College #22 will be taking place in Georgetown, TX from March 9-11. I've not been to one of these workshops yet, but I am planning to attend this one. Everyone I've spoke to that has attended one of these weekend workshops has said that they learned more about the Corvair engine in one weekend than from months of reading or research. If you are interested in attending, you can find registration information on the Corvair College #22 Facebook Page.

Good info....Wayne has a good program going there.....I've communicated with him several times....There's others too...probably not quite as thorough as him....and I think he has a few parts that one may not be able to get anywhere else..
    Locally there's an older gentleman that's a mechanic and worked for a GM dealer back in the 60's .. He has 2 restored Corvair cars and some parts....He knows these inside and out...a great resource for me and I'm going to learn all that I can from him..
    By the end of the week I'll be looking at a 65. The VIN that has been given,checks out..so we'll see.....this will save some work and $$ on parts. If it turns out to be good....