Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a better way to cut Aluminum plate

Need a better way to cut Aluminum plate

Has anyone found something new & improved to cut 1/4" aluminum plate.
    I need to make several long, straight cuts. Thinking there has to be a better
    way. Some titanium Carbide diamond blade for my table saw would be perfect.
    A router bit for the curves and a grinding wheel that doesn't load up.

Bob

I've used a carbide laminate trimmer in my router, and a good straight edge. go slow.

And use a little line of sulfur cutting oil or tapping oil to minimize built-up edge on the cutter.

Hi Bob - any chance to get the parts cut on a waterjet or laser cutter? Does a wonderful job in steel - I am sure it does alloy as well.
    Mark

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping for something like "The ACME all purpose cutoff wheel" $9.95 at Harbor Freight. But, I guess if something better was available it would be on 'Hints for Homebuilder's'.

Band saw with a fence has always worked for me. A blade manufacturer can recommend the number of teeth per inch and configuration that won't load up. Metal on a table saw has always frightened me.

I have used my bandsaw and even my power miter saw. I suppose the table saw will work but I'd have to put my SawStop into hotdog mode to cut aluminum. Be sure that if you are using something that was used to cut wood that you clean up all the sawdust (including internal) before you start cutting metal on it.

Some cases it's better, cheaper, and easier to hire it cut.

The Sears Twin Saw cuts aluminum nicely with it's twin 6" counterrotating carbide blades to prevent kickback. But I burned up the motor on mine while cutting thick stock. (1/8" max is recommended)

For straight line cuts I use a 10" 60 tooth carbide blade on my Delta table saw. Cuts it like butter. Thicker pieces work the best. Thinner than 0.040 has to be held down with scrap so it don't grab. Wear full eye and face protection as hot aluminum chips fly.