Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA-8 Skycycle info

PA-8 Skycycle info

I'm looking for information on the PA-8 Sky Cycle. I have some information from the cub club in their news letters. I'm looking or technical drawings. I think it could make a neat home built project and would be a fun little airplane that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fly.

Thanks

Keith

I have an old Air Trails that offers some detail and exploded view on the Skycycle, but not enough to call it a set of plans. I recall that someone may have already replicated one. Let me know if you want me to scan and send to you.

Contact Mary Carlson-Behn and her husband Frank Behn at Carlson Aircraft in East Palestine, OH. Mary's late husband Ernie built a Skycycle and if my memory serves me right, Frank helped him.

http://www.carlsonaircraft.com/

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. That will be a start. Been doing some thinking and thinking steel truss for the fuselage with formers and sheet metal skin and fabric for the wing and tail. I'll see if I can get ahold of anyone at Carlson.

Thanks

Keith.

Just curious- but wouldn't be easier to build a Thatcher CX-4 instead?

Quote Originally Posted by David Darnell View Post
    Just curious- but wouldn't be easier to build a Thatcher CX-4 instead?
    It may be easier but I'm not really to keen on the VW Powerplant. I've emailed Dave about the possibility of an A65 or C85 and his answer was no engines to heavy. I've read about some one using the 2200 jabiru but that engine is awful expensive.

Also I think the sky cycle would be neat because it's not something that everyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by American Flyer View Post
    I have an old Air Trails that offers some detail and exploded view on the Skycycle, but not enough to call it a set of plans. I recall that someone may have already replicated one. Let me know if you want me to scan and send to you.
    American Flyer

That would be wonderful

KDoersom at hotmail.com.

Thanks.

Might look into the Viking Engine as a more modern powerplant.

As I recall there was a sky cycle replica at Oshkosh a number of years ago as well as a write up in Sport Aviation. I think there was an offering of plans at one time as well. If I recall this was mid-to-late 90's.

There is a discussion of the Lycoming O-145 that powered the original Sky Cycle on a recent thread. Wasn't the fuselage a modified post-WWII drop tank?
    The journey is the reward.