Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pietenpol/Loehle Sport Parasol-New member pursuing the dream!

Hi Fred, welcome to forums. We have a guy selling a sport parasol at our local airport so we looked into it a little bit. The biggest thing we found out was that although it was originally designed as an ultralight it no longer meets that category and would have to be flown as a light sport. Just sayin' if you choose that one you may need to do a little bit of research to make sure you're getting what you want. I have heard great things about the Piet but have no experience with it.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Trying to make the financial numbers work, as I am far from being a wealthy guy. I want to rush into things and start building like yesterday, but got to keep a clear head!
    Looking at Kolb Firestar too. Very friendly people, and appears to be a very solid and proven design.

Hi, all. Been busy for the last few months collecting the finances and some kit components for the aircraft I've
    decided to commit to which is a Kolb Firestar 2. The main selling points were the all metal construction and ability to fly with a passenger. Have assembled the horiz. and vert. stabs, elevators and rudder, and mounted to fuselage tube.
    Ordered the fuse welded cage, landing gear, nose cone, brakes and wheels, and some other hardware, so soon I can sit in the "cockpit" and
    make airplane noises while my wife looks on in bemused disbelief! C'mon, don't tell me none of y'all haven't done it too! Fred

Congrats on getting started, Fred!

Start a thread in the Homebuilders Corner forum and post some building updates and pictures. I know we'd all love to follow your progress. I sure would; I've been looking at Kolbs for years. Almost pulled the trigger back when the Slingshot was introduced.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I had a horse trading friend who had a Piet, but the original builder had crushed the wings out of liability fears before he sold it. Some time later I found wings for the thing and wanted to buy it, but by then it was gone. He told me he had a Pober Pixie project, a single seat parasol. I ended up trading a Darter 100 I had worn out for it. Time will tell if I was a damn fool.