Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

Garmin Pilot by itself will provide everything but in flight weather and traffic. If you have Verizon you can get coverage in about 70% of the country. AT&T you will get coverage in about 30% everyone else is les (this being the difference between between tower spacing vs. GSM and CDMA technologies being used). I was getting weather inflight in about 95% of georgia at altitudes above 5k feet.But we also have high traffic so to me the GDL-39 is priceless. If you are kicking around outside of controlled airspace without a transponder, don't bother.

Garmin Pilot is completely usable without any additional hardware. I found it to be my favorite just from a purely nerd perspective with all the features available for flight planning. The flight plan file service is also a wonderful tool. I have quickly become very dependent for better or for worse on Garmin Pilot on the ground, as well as in the air.

snz

huh, look out the window? At what? You must be flying Sport VFR in the desert... 200 feet can get me killed.

LTE is 700mhz and who in the FCC is chasing down the people riding commercial who didn't turn off their cell phones before getting on the plane?

Even in Sport VFR conditions in Georgia you can have very low visibility during the summer from haze. I and a friend of mine can recall with great detail a plane we encountered last summer, but just not what type of plane. The seats were gray with heavy blue stitching, it had steam gauges and slightly darkened canopy. I can't tell you what make or model bu he was going about 200 knots so that narrows the search. He was drinking a QT 32 oz drink, probably Coke. I don't think he ever knew he almost munged us but we sure do count that as one of our 9 lives... won't happen again!

Funny what you remember about such instances, right?

Another time I was with a CFI climbing out of KRYY about 4 miles SE of KVPC. We heard a guy crossing mid-field KVPC self announce he was at 4,500 feet on a heading of 90. We were at 4,500 heading 310 so we climbed to avoid. The other pilot was not at 4,500, he was at 5,500 on a heading of 150. We were looking eyeball to eyeball with this guy in a 172. Had the conditions been hazy we would have come darn close to making metal and carbon fiber into dust at 5,500 feet...

I could go on...

Anything to increase your safety whether it be traffic awareness, in-flight weather or more accurate location, its worth the money. If you find yourself thinking like a Luddite then maybe its time to park your plane. When the 30,000+ drones start crowding the skies if you don't have accurate traffic you will make metal at altitude... that I can assure you!

snz
    Last edited by subnoize; 10-31-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: add more experiences...

subnoize,
    I see both sides to this and I have had a couple of 'close calls' similar to yours. One was a 182 that I nearly had to clean the tire marks off the top of my wing. I was on final and the ba$tard must have thought he had priority and was 'better than me'. Scared the $HIT out of me. Arrogant a$$ couldn't say he didn't see me either since he nearly ran out of his plane after he landed, possibly due to my 'scolding' him on the radio and requesting a talk.
    My may objective for my Samsung Galaxy is for charts and was hoping for weather but alas, my tablet is wifi and not cell phone capable. Not computer techie enough to have thought I would be better off with cell phone type. Well, the monthly fees for service was another factor and the fact that where I live cell phone service can be hit and miss.

I AM a look out the window type, heck if I wasn't required to have a chart in the plane I probably wouldn't even have one 99% of the time due to the majority of my flights are in my local area. Even flying from one coast to the other I use minimal instruments. I love to fly so I just head a particular direction and use basic navigation skills to get to my final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    my goodness, i struck a nerve! sorry about that, but it won't change my point.
    No, you have come in and started arguing with me about stuff that is off topic. Secondly, you are speaking on a topic which you have a.) no experience with b.) have no knowledge of and c.) apparently very little pilot experience in general.

at the other traffic, of course. one example. i was joining #3 in a form flight while lead and #2 were trying to figure out where the traffic nearby was. joined up, i realized they were BOTH heads-down looking at their magic boxes, neither looking for traffic, and #2 not looking at lead! look OUT THE WINDOW. p.s. they both selected "stby" for a moment and their traffic alerts went away. go figger.
    OK, so here is your first mistake; ADSB isn't to find the guy you can see, its the guy you can't see. You don't use ADSB for traffic patterns (and this point of yours is why I believe you have very little experience as a pilot in general). The guy you can't see is beyond your visual abilities, whether your eyeballs are limited by haze, clouds, behind you or simple distance. If you believe that such a system is there to help you see the guy you are flying next to, you are in more trouble than I realized!

a 200 foot nav error can get you killed? nav error? VMC? how DID we all survive without WAAS GPS for a century?
    Example: My favorite fishing hole's strip is in a valley. There is no way to fly a pattern around the strip, you have to come up the valley, straight in to do a soft field, short field landing. This is where I start noticing my phone and tablets are way the hell off on altitude and location. I'm not talking about navigating to my little field, I care about the fact that if I were approaching the field from a cloud layer, don't use the damn phone or tablet's GPS! 200 feet means you are either in a side of a mountain or in the trees or too high to make the strip, take your pick.

thanks, i learned something.
    Good! There is hope for you!

so, you only obey rules designed for public safety when somebody is watching? look up "anti-authority" in the Risk Management Handbook - FAA-H-8083-2 - by Federal Aviation Administration.
    OK, so now I'm lost. I thought you were talking about FCC regulations? Why are you now talking about FAA risk management? What exactly does FCC regulations about antiquated cell phone networks (which are almost entirely non-operational) have to do with modern day FAA risk management?

enlighten me. what is "sport vfr" and how is it different from "vfr"? what class airspace were you in during the blue stitching encounter? what was your inflight visibility?
    Ok, so here you go; Sport VFR is shorthand for "flying VFR under Sport Pilot regulations" which means you are flying daylight hours ONLY. Private Pilots can fly VFR at night, which brings us back to ADSB and it's usefulness. Georgia has high humidity and VFR night flying can be challenging to spot traffic.

Are you even a pilot? I'm starting to wonder now...

a guy was more than 3000ft above an airport and announced his direction and altitude wrong. wonder why he announced anything? well, he did, you took precautionary action and were operating in vmc, saw him even though he was wrong (but unwittingly on the correct altitude for hemispherical cruising rules, congratulations to him) and no collision. see-and-avoid system worked. restate the problem?
    Here again you fail to understand, ADSB would have shown me the traffic BEFORE I have visual contact with it. I would not have started climbing and made no change on heading. Instead, I relied on false information and actually put myself into danger. So, this is an excellent example of how ADSB would have helped out. Long before I had visual contact I could have avoided the situation completely.

not if it doesn't work or isn't needed. and it won't if both aviators are looking at their screens while closing on traffic. inflight weather for a trip around the neighborhood? distraction. WAAS accuracy for pattern work? distraction. and the current collision avoidance systems can't work if the collision hazard has no electronic output. hawks, eagles, buzzards, ultralights, and aircraft without electrical systems don't and won't have electronic outputs, even after ADS-B is required. read the reg. read it to the birdbrains, too, if you like - but don't expect them to buy transponders.
    Again, you need to read up on ADSB! You would know that there are two methods to obtain traffic with ADSB; 1.) plane to plane and 2.) ground to plane. In your situation the "ground to plane" would relay to my ADSB "In" what ground radar was tracking (Mode-C or old transponders would have altitude and no transponder would still result in direction and speed). I would be able to see traffic up to 50 miles around me or further depending on conditions. Anyways, who flys around watching their dashboards? Your argument on this point is just stupid.

not a luddite, a realist. it doesn't matter how many drones, the basics won't change, we still won't have accurate traffic if we don't look out the window. i've flown with traffic avoidance systems for years. i'm still amazed by how many people say "wow i never realized how many aircraft are out there" while watching the box and ignoring the stuff going by the plexiglass. it doesn't matter how many transponder-equipped aircraft are one, two, or five miles away. yes, collision avoidance aids are nice. no, avionics won't prevent all midair collisions.

LOOK OUT THE WINDOW.
    No, you are a Troll, off topic, seriously ignorant about ADSB and completely way off base about how to use in cockpit traffic reporting systems! Now, my advice is read up on ADSB and start your own topic on "I Hate ADSB" because this topic is about Android OS and available flight software.

Thank you, have a nice day.

snz
    Last edited by subnoize; 11-02-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: accuarcy

subnoize is right about one thing, this was getting way off course. sorry about that. so i pulled my off-topic posts.
    Last edited by Mike M; 11-10-2012 at 05:54 AM.