Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom. $49 a year gets you geo-referenced (follow the airplane on the map) sectionals, low/hi IFR with weather overlays. Includes downloadable approach plates in the main app, and AOPA's (I think) database that pops up the info on the map.

For another $49 a year you can add geo-ref'd approach plates, and for $29 add SafeTaxi (follow the aiplane around the airport diagram).

A cool thing is that the license is good for two devices for these prices. We use the Xoom for primary 'back-up' (snicker nav, and my DroidX Android phone backs up the 'back-up'. The app looks great on the Droid also...very usable.

The main app will do everything we need plus for VFR. They have a one-month free trial subcription, also.

Jim

PS- We use the internal GPS's on both the Xoom and the Droid in our 172 and Citabria with no lost signal so far.
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 09-06-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added last line

Garmin Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom

PS- We use the internal GPS's on both the Xoom and the Droid in our 172 and Citabria with no lost signal so far.

Garmin has this all wrapped up. The GDL 39 pretty much puts your nav in the tablet. All that is missing is the AHRS and you can have just engine instruments and a radio on your dashboard.

If you are looking for the best way to fly with your Xoom or iPaddie and can't find a suitable mount, try http://www.tietco.com

snz

Quote Originally Posted by Awhite View Post
    I have the Galaxy 10.1 32 GB...
    what type aircraft, please? canopy or cabin?

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    ... I'm making my comments via my Moto Xoom...
    is that the display you use in the aircraft? what type aircraft, canopy or cabin? screen readability?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    is that the display you use in the aircraft? what type aircraft, canopy or cabin? screen readability?
    The Xoom is a Motorol Tablet computer. Its actually an old model. Doesn't do so well in the direct sun light. The aircraft I fly are rentals and they range between the FK9 to the FA04 Peregrine.

The point is this; get a tablet, any tablet and get Garmin software. Get the Garmin ADS reciever and you are done. Android devices and Apple devices are really simular, Android is far cheaper. Android also has a barometer sensor in case your GPS gives out. I tend to like the back-up altimeter in device. I'm pretty sure Apple will eventually have one... eventually.

snz

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom. $49 a year

The main app will do everything we need plus for VFR. They have a one-month free trial subcription, also.

Jim
    Jim,
    I just read the customers reviews....One guy sure seems quite displeased (understatement!) I may give the 30 day trail a go. Have a long flight to go on next weekend. Only issue with me is that I am sort of computer illiterate! I think a drunk monkey could do better than I do with computers/tablets/smart phones.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Jim,
    I just read the customers reviews....One guy sure seems quite displeased (understatement!) I may give the 30 day trail a go. Have a long flight to go on next weekend. Only issue with me is that I am sort of computer illiterate! I think a drunk monkey could do better than I do with computers/tablets/smart phones.
    Keith
    That's the only way to see what works for you...How it works for me, or others, is mostly irrelevent, I think.

Big Grin Galax

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    what type aircraft, please? canopy or cabin?
    I have used it in my Luscombe, as well as my Dyke Delta with equal results. It will even lock on and get its position in my living room!

I have been using Naviator for 9months now and hve used it in my Luscmbe, and my Dyke Delta. The subscription is 49.95 after a free 30 day trial. The subscription covers vfr&ifr charts as well as approach plates. The one thing I would like to see is seamless transition between charts. Currently you need to select the next chart when transitioning from one to the next. This requires two clicks. Trips can be preloaded including stops etc. The dadabase updates each time the unit is booted with wifi access, and includes complete airport info with one click on the aiorport designator. For inflight web access, a hotspot or some other internet connection is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Awhite View Post
    I have been using Naviator for 9months now and hve used it in my Luscmbe, and my Dyke Delta. The subscription is 49.95 after a free 30 day trial. The subscription covers vfr&ifr charts as well as approach plates. The one thing I would like to see is seamless transition between charts. Currently you need to select the next chart when transitioning from one to the next. This requires two clicks.
    Naviator was last updated in May. Even with 10,000+ downloads I don't think he got that many subscriptions. I suspect he's not going to continue development.

Garmin Pilot has continous maps, NEXRAD, much easier flight planning, taxi w/GPS (safe taxi), geolocated approach plates, gas prices, weather integration into flight planning, route weather and a very responsive customer servive. The intergration with Bendix and of course Garmin equipment in the cockpit is of course not suported by any other app on Android.

Finally, the ADS from Garmin, GDL39, is like your American Express card, don't leave home without it! When Atlanta approach calls me with a radar contact I can reply, "No visual but I was keeping an eye on him with ADS." With Georgia's notoriously hazy weather, knowing who is floating around you in the soup is really nice!

PS. I fly a tiny FK9 with steam gauges so the ADS on my tablet adds a lot!

snz
    Last edited by subnoize; 09-15-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: bad spelling?